Spirit's Pedigree - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Spirit's Pedigree

I was able to trace him all the way back to Hektor, 1898. That's about the most exciting thing I've done all year LOL

Crescent Moon's Indomitable Spirit

It's interesting how vulnerable I feel sharing his pedigree on the open forum. His dam's sire is Pascha Vom Seewolf, love looking at his photo.

About Hektor....

Quote:
"Horand embodied for the enthusiasts of that time the fulfillment of their fondest dreams. He was big for that period, between 24" and 24 1/2", even for the present day a good medium size, with powerful frame, beautiful lines, and a nobly formed head. Clean and sinewy in build, the entire dog was one live wire. His character was on a par with his exterior qualities; marvelous in his obedient fidelity to his master, and above all else, the straightforward nature of a gentleman with a boundless zest for living. Although untrained in puppy hood, nevertheless obedient to the slightest nod when at this master's side; but when left to himself, the maddest rascal, the wildest ruffian and incorrigible provoker of strife. Never idle, always on the go; well disposed to harmless people, but no cringer, mad about children and always in love. What could not have been the accomplishments of such a dog if we, at that time, had only had military or police service training? His faults were the failings of his upbringing, never of his stock. He suffered from a superfluity of unemployed energy, for he was in Heaven when someone was occupied with him and was then the most tractable of dog." ~Captain von Stephanitz Originator of the breed
Thank you to the one amazing person who helped me with this -- you know who you are, I am forever your friend
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should be able to trace any GSD back to Hektor, I think. He was one of the founders of the breed.

I could spend hours on PDB! I love that they now show 8-generation linebreeding.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I know, they all go back to Hektor, he was the first registered GSD. I just think it's amazing we are keeping those kinds of records. I could not easily, or at all??, trace my lineage back that many generations.

I love the description of Hektor ... .the maddest rascal, incorrigable provoker of strife
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
You should be able to trace any GSD back to Hektor, I think. He was one of the founders of the breed.
Some of the dogs go back to Luch. (or Luchs?) Horands littermate.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doc
Knighted Member

Yes Virginia, there were shepherd dogs before Horand ...
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Yes Virginia, there were shepherd dogs before Horand ...
How many generations before Horand were eventually entered registered in the SV Doc, if you know? (I see great grandsires/granddams but with higher SV numbers.)
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

How awesome that there is a pedigree database!!! I am really into genealogy, and I've found ancestry.com to be an invaluable resource, but I never knew that a similar thing existed for dogs!

I have been wondering: how many generations of one breed are generally needed for a dog to be considered "purebred"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ava Marie (4/3/2012)
breyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Some of the dogs go back to Luch. (or Luchs?) Horands littermate.
Interesting point to ponder, I wonder how many GSDs alive today would NOT trace back to Horand? And would that be significant?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I doubt you will find a single GSD alive today that does not go back on Horand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It seems folks are a lot more meticulous with keeping up with the father lines than the mother lines. All my dogs have gone back to Horand on the male line.

Most of my dogs' mother lines were not listed before WWII or the 1920s but Beau goes back to before Horand with Salli von der Krone.

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):
, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.