Understanding pedigrees an values - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Understanding pedigrees an values

First off, this is purely for educational purposes.. I love Yoschi and have zero regret!!!

I am trying to learn how value is applied to GSD's.... I'd like to learn if Yoschi was over priced, under priced etc etc....

I would also like to have some help deciphering his pedigree for this same reason as well as to determine his potential based on pedigree alone...

On the koi forum I visit, it's considered tacky to say what you paid for a fish,, I am not sure the same applies here, so I'll wait to post that.. I'm hoping for an educational conversation about how breeders come up with a price and also to help me learn about my dogs lineage..
thanks in advance..

sire: V1-Gildo vom Herzbach SchH3, IPO3, FH, KKL1"a"
dam: V-Fenja vom Herzbach SchH3, FH, KKL1"a"
Attached Thumbnails
Understanding pedigrees an values-capture_ped_of_pups.25585019_std.jpg   Understanding pedigrees an values-img_20121123_090744.jpg   Understanding pedigrees an values-img_20121123_090724.jpg   Understanding pedigrees an values-img_20121113_094648.jpg  

Last edited by Yoschi's_Pet_Human; 11-23-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

What does GSH-S after the names mean? I've never seen that before. Why aren't the dogs' titles listed on the pedigree?

I'm not a pedigree expert and don't know anything about the particular dogs listed, but I recognize a couple of German showline kennel names.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

That is the Working-dog.eu pedigree. the GSH-S means German Shepherd Dog straight Hair top coat. One the database when you hover over the name it shows the datasheet for the dog and it will show any titles the dog has listed.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
That is the Working-dog.eu pedigree. the GSH-S means German Shepherd Dog straight Hair top coat. One the database when you hover over the name it shows the datasheet for the dog and it will show any titles the dog has listed.
She said Yoschi is a WGSL dog with strong working potential... does that match up with the pedigree?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is a standard WGSL pedigree. The V in front means an excellent show rating Titles Charts. The titles afterward are SchH3 schutzhund 3 (United Schutzhund Clubs of America - Schutzhund Training) IPO3 Internationale Prüfungs-Ordnung 3 (What is Schutzhund and IPO? and Schutzhund Training, Schutzhund Titling, German Shepherd Training)
FH is Fährtenhundprüfung advanced tracking dog exam. KK1a is breed survey for life. Here are breed survey rules and what it tests for: SV Breed Survey | Fred Lanting.

Both sire and dam are titled well so that is probably why they say the puppy has good working potential and is WGSL. Sire goes back to Zamp and dam has Scott in her pedigree. I am guessing you paid more than what one would pay for a similar puppy in the states, but these sales are not uncommon so your price is probably what the market will bear. I don't think we have any rules about saying what you paid. In fact, there is a thread or two out there about how much each person paid for his or her dog.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In the US, puppy prices for German showline GSDs such as yours, range from about $1800 on up to $8000 (ridiculous), with $2000-3000 the average. I want to say you get what you pay for, but with dogs, it isn't always true... there can be great breeders who only charge a low-end price, and awful breeders who charge $5000 or more, and everything in between. It's more about finding the right breeder than the right price, IMO.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
This is a standard WGSL pedigree. The V in front means an excellent show rating Titles Charts. The titles afterward are SchH3 schutzhund 3 (United Schutzhund Clubs of America - Schutzhund Training) IPO3 Internationale Prüfungs-Ordnung 3 (What is Schutzhund and IPO? and Schutzhund Training, Schutzhund Titling, German Shepherd Training)
FH is Fährtenhundprüfung advanced tracking dog exam. KK1a is breed survey for life. Here are breed survey rules and what it tests for: SV Breed Survey | Fre:d Lanting.

Both sire and dam are titled well so that is probably why they say the puppy has good working potential and is WGSL. Sire goes back to Zamp and dam has Scott in her pedigree. I am guessing you paid more than what one would pay for a similar puppy in the states, but these sales are not uncommon so your price is probably what the market will bear. I don't think we have any rules about saying what you paid. In fact, there is a thread or two out there about how much each person paid for his or her dog.
Fwiw I paid $2800+tt&l=$3200
Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That is not bad. Pretty standard for a WGSL stock coat pup out of titled, rated, breed surveyed parents.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yoschi, besides your koi, do you have any other pets?
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoschi's_Pet_Human View Post
Fwiw I paid $2800+tt&l=$3200
Tax, title, and license? On a dog?

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.