Help me find the right GSD - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What type of dog would you suggest me to purchase
toned down german working line 6 54.55%
german showline 5 45.45%
toned down german showline 0 0%
other 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
it's more that you're the right person for a
dog regardless of breed. you can train and
socialize your dog to be the type of dog you
want.
Yes, I know The thing is the quality of myself as an owner/trainer are fairly constant (w/ space for improvement) and largely unknown yet* so choosing a good pup would help a lot. If you want to shape something it's easier to shape wood than iron if this makes sense

*I had a dog like 10 years ago, until when I was 15, GSD x Slovak cuvac, my Brita had the most beautiful head I've ever seen trained her some basic stuff like "sit down" and walking off the leash but it could have been much more. The whole thing lacked structure, frequency and methodology as I was quite a child at that time but still I achieved some nice results. No happy end though, when we moved to a flat we decided the best for her will be to stay with new owners who bought our house and after some time _allegedly_ she went crazy (missed us maybe?) and they just killed her instead of getting in touch with us, it's such a shame such a nice dog, a being with real personality must have died like this :_(
Tom888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Many of us have has puppies shipped, and they come out of the crate tail wagging ready to play.
real nice to hear that
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

I haven't yet started to look for a breeder systematically but found 2 possible sources already

Psi* a* feny (*)

These are the sires (left) and dams (right) of a czech kennel, the owner breeds since '70s and is a judge on events, etc, I guess it's a responsible breader with extensive knowledge.

V 6 Galette Allanche

This girl lives just a couple of miles from my hometown, I'm not experienced enough to judge her so would need some feedback. I like the fact her back's slope is not as huge and curvy as other show dogs. She also looks quite massive for a female which is what I prefer (a relatively massive female structured similar to males) so her pupps could be nice too. The breeder most likely has much less experience than the other one though and the "quality of the dog" (not sure if I should be that much interested in this one beyond a certain point??) lower too.

Can you comment on these 2 sources, which one would you go for and why or anything you wanna say? I don't want answers like if I asked about specific puppies I know it depends a lot on the pairing etc. but so far this is the information I have.. Anyway, both these breeders breed GSL do I see it right?

(*)when you click on a dog there is a link "Rodokmen" that shows the dogs pedigree if interested

Last edited by Tom888; 11-19-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom888 View Post
and the "quality of the dog" (not sure if I should be that much interested in this one beyond a certain point??) lower too.
I have thoughs like if the dog's parents are both VAs does it really mean it's superior, mainly regarding character and nerves to that of "V" parents... well on a puppy to puppy basis I really doubt that because when it comes to character it's much more individual specific. Conclusion would be if I like how the parents look like and they have no genetic problems I just have to pick the one from the litter with the right temperament and drive, regardless V's and VA's (again, beyond a certain point, let that make a V cat. dog??)

Any feedback?

Last edited by Tom888; 11-19-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
Just wanted to wish you luck in your search and when you find that precious pup, please share it with us.
Thank you.
I think once I manage to get a puppy I will be so proud of her I will share it excesively with everyone around on FB and every possible place Obviously as this forum seems to be of great help I will feed back and share my success with you.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you think those prices are high you will have quite the sticker shock when you start seeing what the average wgsl goes for
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
If you think those prices are high you will have quite the sticker shock when you start seeing what the average wgsl goes for
Itt all depends on the point of view. If you are looking at this "from Slovakia" it's different.

Psi* a* feny

The guy with these dogs and decades of experience advertised his puppies for Eur 250 on a Slovak website. And believe me, from a pure Slovakian buyer's point of view that's a lot of money... for any dog.

Anyway, what do you think about these dogs/this breeder??

Last edited by Tom888; 11-19-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
Itt all depends on the point of view. If you are looking at this "from Slovakia" it's different.

Psi* a* feny

The guy with these dogs and decades of experience advertised his puppies for Eur 250, this is how I found him. And believe me, from a pure Slovakian point of view (not mine) that's a lot of money... for any dog.

Anyway, what do you thik about these dogs??
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had a look at the two web sites you provided . I do not know why you would have to go to Czech- Poland- Hungary -Slovakia , anywhere "mittel europa" for a dog that is west German show lines which these are with the exception of Fuji on the first link . These lines are pretty well ubiquitous , USA, Canada, west Germany , even in the United Kingdom.
Why not locate a breeder in the UK?
You have a strong preference for what you call "nice classic colour" (which actually is not - the first dogs were sable) , so your best chance of getting this is from the show lines.

If you insist on shopping abroad why not look in to Sweden - you may get the colour you want and the dogs will have gone through the mentality test , so emphasis on the temperament.

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

is there something wrong with my math? 250 Euros converts to around $320 Canadian funds which is more or less equal to the US dollar these days. You think that is a lot of money ... for any dog? We had a forum member introduce his new pup , 8 weeks I believe , and his price was $4,000.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.