Help me find the right GSD - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What type of dog would you suggest me to purchase
toned down german working line 6 54.55%
german showline 5 45.45%
toned down german showline 0 0%
other 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In regards to Lee's post, when I got Medo the price was $950 US and with shipping, customs fees, and gas to drive to Philadelphia to pick him up the total cost was around $1400. But I also know of a breeder who has a broker in the US who charges over $2000 per puppy (NOT including shipping!). Just like buying a dog in the US (and I'm sure the UK), prices vary insanely! And I have no idea of there are a lot of heafty fees to import to the UK
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
Germany should be fairly easy to get to for you tho.....and seriously, I would recommend the WG Show line as it seems to be what you prefer - ie, the VA Kirschental female
Lee
Yeah basically you are right, thinking about it maybe I just wanted to rationalise the decision to get a working bloodline dog as today I've read/seen quite a lot of info and opinions on the angulation/slope topic and probably got sucked in by the "half dog half frog" crowd. Well the good part is now after realizing this I will still put more emphasis on avoiding extremes/extremes breeding but most likely I will find a showline with a straighter back easier than a working line with temperament and drive suitable for me.

Will look at both maybe with an emphasis on GSL, just needed the second thoughs to come through. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Tom888; 11-18-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Tom888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've got to say guys you really have to pay a huge price to get an import puppy so I just wish you that what you got is what you were looking for

Also I hope the pupps are drugged during their journey (if transported as cargo what's common on EU airlines that carry pets), I know it's not too healthy but I can imagine the trauma such a journey can cause to a puppy if not.

Last edited by Tom888; 11-18-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
Masi's (in my avatar) mom was imported from slovakia, she is a helga v eurosportu, (maybe eurosport?) I have a copy of her slovak papers, but darn if I can read them either))
You need help translating? lol
Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pups are pretty resilient - if they can't take the trip, you probably are not getting a good pup!! I have brought over a few for myself and others and never had a problem...

Be sure that you understand what you are getting if you get a WL from CR or Slovakia.....from your description, you would be better off with the drives of a showline.....your top priority should be good nerves and stable temperament - the high drive dogs sometimes have a thinner nerve strength and are more reactive .....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Airlines won't take dogs that have been given a sedative except in special circumstances. Seems that the nervous system cannot compensated for the pressure changes if the dogs are sedated, and there is a higher risk of death in sedated pups than non-sedated pups.

As Lee (Wolfstraum) said, a puppy from good lines with solid nerve will take the flight all in stride. Many of us have has puppies shipped, and they come out of the crate tail wagging ready to play.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

it's more that you're the right person for a
dog regardless of breed. you can train and
socialize your dog to be the type of dog you
want.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just wanted to wish you luck in your search and when you find that precious pup, please share it with us.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

found this little fellow on the pedigree data base Puppies for sale: German Shepherd Puppies (id: 168793)
do you think this would be of interest to you? Would be handy as he is in UK also.
Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
found this little fellow on the pedigree data base Puppies for sale: German Shepherd Puppies (id: 168793)
do you think this would be of interest to you? Would be handy as he is in UK also.
Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
No the pup on the pic is really cute but right now I am not able to buy one nor will I be in the next couple of months due to legal reasons (contract with uni halls of residence that does not allow any pets). Also with some more hassle (going to Slovakia in person... but I could use a holiday anyway) I could get a quality pup much cheaper so this would not really meet my price/qty requirements. Nevertheless the pup is a real cutie though, thank you for trying to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.