Two dogs I really really like... wondering what would their offspring produce - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Two dogs I really really like... wondering what would their offspring produce

I'm in no way related nor do I know of any planned breedings.

These dogs belong to my TD. I really like both of them... I watch them train every week and while they are not without faults I really like the picture they present want to learn more about their pedigrees, lines, etc.

Of course, I speak to the TD about both dogs and we chat away, but I know there are some people here that know these lines or similar lines and can tell me.

For what it's worth, I'll keep the information on germanshepherds.com and won't go and say "hey this person said this this and that about your dogs". This is just to satisfy my own curiosity but I completely understand if you have reservations answering.

So tell me, what would you expect? What do you think of a hypothetical (as in - in my dreams) breeding? What would you expect?

Again, just hypothetical. I have no idea what they plan to do with the dogs but love watching them both work, and Heiko has a superrrr long bite (I know, I help with the helper work) which I do like so I was wondering...

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/bree...&mother=630951
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Over the top prey with the possibility of not so strong nerves that will be covered up with prey drive. Excellent dog for sport.

cliff, carmen, Christine and others can probably provide more details
Ace952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace952 View Post
Over the top prey with the possibility of not so strong nerves that will be covered up with prey drive. Excellent dog for sport.
As someone interested in learning about pedigrees and bloodlines, I would be interested in hearing your reasoning for this statement. Thanks!
jmdjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdjack View Post
As someone interested in learning about pedigrees and bloodlines, I would be interested in hearing your reasoning for this statement. Thanks!
Well, you have more than one dog in which nerves are in question. Add in the linebreeding it then means you are increasing chances. Also you have a ton of prey coming in which can mask the weaker nerves. You can get some aggression for sure but are the nerves stable enough to handle? Maybe...maybe not. Not my cup of tea. May also get some smaller sized pups as well. Excellent for sport but that's it.

Hopefully others will chime in so I can see where I'm right and wrong.
Ace952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace952 View Post
Well, you have more than one dog in which nerves are in question. Add in the linebreeding it then means you are increasing chances. Also you have a ton of prey coming in which can mask the weaker nerves. You can get some aggression for sure but are the nerves stable enough to handle? Maybe...maybe not. Not my cup of tea. May also get some smaller sized pups as well. Excellent for sport but that's it.

Hopefully others will chime in so I can see where I'm right and wrong.
Thanks Ace. I appreciate the response. I do not mean to press you, but if you do not mind, I was hoping for the names of the dogs you are associating with the issues you identified. For instance, which dogs have the nerves in question? Where does the ton of prey come from? Size?

I, too, would like to here from others as well.
jmdjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

agreed - plus a couple of very nice size doses of aggression/possibly screw you attitude - possibly dangerous aggression - there is a reaon that some dogs never finish titles and one dog in particular is very well known for --- aggression!

Lots of prey from the Guy's Hof dogs, which is overall stable and can also bring some aggression...the czech component can add suspicion and combined with some possibility of iffy nerve strength and aggression -

One of the big problems in breedings is that people breed dogs because they own both of them....dogs kept for sport in kennels are often NOT as understood as dogs who are lived with.....

I think there could be a better breeding choice for both top and bottom by looking elsewhere...This could be awesome sport dogs....but to live with??? Better be really experienced....and prepared for the worst case as well....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I agree with the others, definitely this would be a combination completely lacking in balance and geared toward extreme dogs with iffy nerve strength.

As for being great for sport... maybe, maybe not. Plenty of drive for it and a bit of an "edge" to add flash and the appearance of seriousness in protection (though IMO not the correct kind of seriousness a GSD should have), but control could be a huge issue due to drive overloading the nerve strength in this pairing.

Some nice individual dogs in the pedigrees who can bring some very good things if bred right and matched well with other bloodlines to achieve balance. This particular pairing would not be one of those.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Como rurdam have had plenty offspring here in sweden were he was located, supposedly a very strong dog and seems to have produced above average if looking at his offspring in mentaltests and the ones I have seen in sport.
björn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

More drive than I would like to see.......those lines are starting to bottleneck. Where would you breed the offspring of this breeding? Most out crosses would have problems absorbing the drive base o these pups. Just an observation.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
One of the big problems in breedings is that people breed dogs because they own both of them....dogs kept for sport in kennels are often NOT as understood as dogs who are lived with.....

Lee
Often forgotten but very true. I get a bit weary of the sport mantra "how do you know a dog if you didn't title it yourself?" while this simple fact that a dog living in a kennel, only removed for training and trialing, is far far too often not as thoroughly understood as a dog who is lived with 24/7 by the person considering the breeding. There are MANY weaknesses that can be easily masked by a halfway decent trainer and a lot of prey drive. Hang out in all live situations with a dog for a few years; you'll see quite a bit if you know what to look for.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.