Two dogs I really really like... wondering what would their offspring produce - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
More drive than I would like to see.......those lines are starting to bottleneck. Where would you breed the offspring of this breeding? Most out crosses would have problems absorbing the drive base o these pups. Just an observation.
This is an interesting concept to ponder. You don't think the drive would moderate in the next generation with an outcrossing to a very stable medium drive partner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
This is an interesting concept to ponder. You don't think the drive would moderate in the next generation with an outcrossing to a very stable medium drive partner?
Not necessarily. Genes don't always work like that. I have a bitch whose grandpups are almost exactly like her pups...some genes are more prepotent than others. You could also end up with "wildcards" in a litter to an outcross like that. You could get medium drive, iffy nerves, high aggression, or any combination. I prefer to breed balance whenever possible for that reason- less chance of wildcards if the parents are "type to type" breeding. I don't care what lines they are, but I want similar types that complement each other.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just curious, what type of breeding would the pedigree gurus suggest with either of these dogs, to balance the drive and solidify the nerve?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

The sire--I wouldn't want to add any more Timmy/Troll) or Mink or even Orry. I'd also want to try to avoid adding more Fado(Harro). So, with that said, I've just eliminated almost all of the top sport names.

Look at his linebreeding and the backmassing:

8,6,6 - 7,8,8,7 Greif zum Lahntal
7 - 6,7,7,8,6..................................... in Afra vom Stoppenberger Land
8,8 - 8,8......................................... in V Racker vom Itztal

So where are you going to go with this breeding? It's either go back to more of the same or look hard for new lines--Czech (the ones that haven't been bred to Tom or Yoschy bloodlines), or some of the lesser known German working lines -- maybe Vox vd Kine (which still brings in Troll) or Sid vh Pixner (brings in Mink) or a dog like Ike v Donauvorstadt (who still goes back to Mink) who brings in some major non-Fero bloodlines as well as old herding bloodlines.

Or you find a counterbalancing dog with similar bloodlines--which can be hard to do and may not work. Or you breed back to a similar dog from similar bloodlines and get some great dogs, some odd ones, some outliers.

It weird, the more pedigrees you study, the more you realize how little diversity there is within a breed (by definition--that's what a dog breed is)--particularly within the subpools within the breed.

I really like the female's pedigree, but she's heavily back-massed on Grief, who was known for his sharpness:
I'd probably look to take her back to a dog who carries Chicco vd Fasanerie or another dog who goes back to Ilja or maybe some Maneiche bloodlines--watching the amount of Greif behind the stud dog.

She's also only got one line back to Fero, so that opens up a lot of the Fero bloodlines--but I'd prefer to avoid going back to any more Yoschy/Troll, and I'd avoid Troll Koerbelbach and no more Verwin to increase diversity and avoid quadrupling up on those traits she's already really strong in.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

@ blackthorn
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks Cliff.

I really do like the female's pedigree--and it was an interesting exercise to think about what I would look for in a stud dog on paper--and then, of course, you have to make sure the stud dog matches the female in front of you in terms of being a complementary match as far as temperament, health, drives, and conformation.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.