My dogs Pedigree- what does this mean? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Are you sure about that? The breeder was planning to breed this bitch to her own father? Because that's what this pedigree is saying.

Yeah, questionable isn't it?

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well I didn't know it was her sire at the time. But yes, that's what I was told. Im almost positive Gordon is their only stud at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

I have heard of breeders doing this to lock in a specific trait. I don't know if that's the reason this breeder is doing it.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yah maybe? Gordon is pretty great.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Minimum allowed by SV is a 2-3. If planned, there is no reason to be doing 1-2 in this day and age.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

What does minimum allowed in sv mean? Sorry new to all of this.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The SV is the original German registration organization for the GSD. It's all quite confusing, but just suffice it to say that the SV in Germany (and it might be fair to say in all of Europe) is basically like the AKC is America. The SV does have more stringent registration requirements than any organization in America. I started a thread a while back in trying to understand all the registration bodies, I'll try to dig it up.

Here you go. See if you can make sense of all this! German Shepherd Organizations for the newbie (SV/WUSV/USCA)

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training

Last edited by wildo; 11-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Means the closest breeding you can do and still register the litter to the SV is a 2-3. Uncle to niece or grandparent to grandprogeny for example. That is as close as I would go. Even then, I would have reservations. The GSD has enough problems without us doing inbreedings so close.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What type of negatives can be brought up by breeding so close, ie the 1-2 breeding on Gordon Capone's pup has?

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Closer the inbreeding, more the recessives are brought out. This can be good or bad. Good if the good traits are fixed. Bad because this breed is already bottlenecked and working on a restricted gene pool. There are some breeds out there that seem to rely heavily on linebreeding/inbreeding (the bully breeds immediately come to mind). But the GSD should not be inbred. We have enough problems. We also have enough dogs with the same pedigree and fixed traits such that we do not need to inbreed. We should be looking to inject new genes and lesser known pedigrees into our lines, not massing more of the same. Inbreeding on GSDs will result in more negative than positive in the majority of cases. I am waiting for the naysayers to come out of the woodwork with their outlier examples. A couple of positive extremes is not sufficient to convince me otherwise.

Good read:
http://www.fci.be/uploaded_files/29-2010-annex-en.pdf
"To preserve, or preferably extend, the genetic diversity of the breed, matador breeding and heavy inbreeding should be avoided. Mating between siblings, mother to son or father to daughter should never be performed. As a general recommendation no dog should have more offspring than equivalent to 5% of the number of puppies registered in the breed population during a five-year period. The size of the breed population should be looked upon not only on national but also on international level, especially in breeds with few individuals."

Amen!^^^

I will say this:
If you plan to inbreed (mother to son, siblings to each other, father to daughter), that's fine. But you will also need to keep your puppies, watch them carefully and cull ruthlessly. If you can do that, go ahead and inbreed. If you cannot or will not, you have no business inbreeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.