Pedigree of dog given to me last week - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pedigree of dog given to me last week

I now have 4 GSDs, but this new one is quite a bit to handle. Can anyone tell from the pedigree if I should expect this strong behavior for the rest of her life, or if she might settle down a bit? I realize each dog is different, but you guys talk about working line dogs and how they are higher strung, so, I wondered if she is in that category.

Danza (Dakara) is getting along with the other three, Zorro, Estrella Loca, and Sierra -- but is she ever a handful at 7 months. I read a couple of threads about the typical destructive behavior and training issues. I must have been spoiled by Zorro, because he house trained himself and has become a perfect companion dog since I raised him from 10 days of age (he was injured the first week of life and became the runt).

Dakara vom Wyant

I didn't think the pedigree looked particularly like a working line, but I'm new to pedigrees. Thanks for any input you guys have and what a GREAT website!

Renee
Zorro and Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Though for some generations there are no titles, I see all working line in your pup.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I guess that is what I need to know to adjust the training schedule of this dog. She is 7 months and the previous owner didn't train her a thing. He barely had her able to walk on a leash and after a week, I'm finally getting her to stop jumping on me. Not perfect yet, but learning. I'm assuming that she will probably never be able to be loose near the free-range chickens, rabbits, and goats?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro and Estrella View Post
I'm assuming that she will probably never be able to be loose near the free-range chickens, rabbits, and goats?
Why not???
Both my working line live with free range chickens without problems... well, Diabla will steal the eggs if they lay outside the coop.

The only one who still have some problems is Bagheera, the working/German showline mix. Even when she has way lower prey drive than the other two she has anxiety problem and may redirect to anything near if frustrated.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh, that's good to know! Danza just seems so hard-headed and instinct driven as compared to my other three dogs. Even Estrella, who has been in Schutzlund training, listens to me while I'm standing there, but when I left, she has attacked the goats. Chickens and rabbits don't entice her quite as much, though. Zorro is good with the small farm animals, but causes trouble with cattle and horses.

Are there specific herding training techniques that we can address with Danza? Desensatizing was my first thought, but when I took her to a rooster, she bit him and the rabbits and goats freak out when she is near, even though they are fairly calm with the other dogs. Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

She may just be a wild thing right now because of her lack of training/lack of having some freedom..She's probably adjusting to a new lifestyle and and catching up on lost time

As for your chickens/stock, I have 9 chickens, only about 19 weeks old, but now adult size..My gsd and aussies were very used to them having raised them in the house the first 6-8 wks,,However,my aussies would still like to 'pounce' them and probably would kill them, my czech gsd, likes them I don't free range, but I don't know how many times I've turned around in the chicken run/Masi has pushed open the door and is roaming around with the chickens! LOL

I still wouldn't trust her 'alone' with them, and some dogs are just always going to be 'on' livestock, some just go with the flow and don't bother them..Depends on the dog.

I have no idea how you would "break" their natural instinct to herd or want to take out the livestock other than keeping them separated..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Man, you've got that right -- wild thing. Between her being six feet tall when she wants to jump on me to lick my face and trying to haul me around like a team of horses, she just seems so much more than any dog I've dealt with before. She didn't even seem to understand "no" to stop whatever she is doing. She's probably nowhere close to 10% call back now.

But I took her out with me while I worked in the barn and had her on a dog run cable. She was suprisingly calm, although constantly moving. I'm not sure why someone would pay so much for dog to put her in the backyard and then end up just giving her away. He did say he wanted her to have more room.

As I went back in her pedigree, I saw quite a bit of DDR. Is that an old German line? She looked mostly Czech recently.

Dakara vom Wyant

Thanks for all of your advice and educated information.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm not the one to dissect pedigrees(more here are knowledgeable than I).

But I can tell you, I have had gsd's my entire life, ddr mostly, this girlie Masi, is a 'wild thing" LOL,,she is much higher energy than my previous dogs, which is fine by me, She's ready and raring to go and do anything I throw in front of her.

The first couple of years I thought, my gosh, this dog is wearing me out LOL, but as she matured around the 2 yr mark, she has developed a much better off switch.

She's alot of fun and DOES keep me moving, and yes Masi likes to still at times, jump straight up in my face )

I think you'll have alot of fun with your girl , mine has been a blast to train, she is eager and willing, and I think 'easier' to train because of that energy and willingness.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro and Estrella View Post
Are there specific herding training techniques that we can address with Danza?
I might be able to help you with a recommendation, depending on what part of Idaho you are in. I am in the Treasure Valley and have done herding with my dog.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.