Showline Vs. Working/HD Vs. Not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Showline Vs. Working/HD Vs. Not?

Tried to find the best place to post this, so move is necessary. Also, I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but I'm not digging through threads, so if someone knows of a direct link, feel free to send me there and end the discussion now....

Anyway...I took Riley to the dog park the morning, and while on the small dog side, I noticed a Shepherd on the larger dog side. I yelled over to the woman if I could say "Hi" and she said, "Of course, come on over". So Riley and I made our way over to say hi. The lady told me his name and that he was about ten years old. He was most definitely a Showline GSD, and when I went to pet him said that I should stay away from his "bad hips".

Koda, is most definitely not a Showline GSD, from what I've learned from this forum. He appears to be more East German or DDR? (I'm no expert in bloodlines, but I do know there's a difference there).

My question is this: Are Showline GSD's more prone to HD than other bloodlines, or is it just luck of the draw? This may be a silly question, but I'm serious. I honestly don't know the answer. My Koda is four years old now and I've never thought to have his hips checked out as he's shown no sign of pain/discomfort/awkward gait. I'd like to have them checked out eventually, but should I do it soon? I'd like to know if he's at just as much risk as any other GSD for HD.

Any info is appreciated.

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."

FB: Melina D Photography
http://www.melinadphotography.com
Melina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

any dog can have HD, I don't think any one type is prone to it over others. Since this guy was 10, he could have arthritis vs bad hips, he could have DM, vs bad hips, she may have been just saying it "generally".. Did she mention if she had him xrayed and he had "bad hips"? Not that it makes a difference

Some dogs may have bad hips and never show any pain or discomfort.

The only way to truly know is xray. I xray all my dogs around 18 mths to2 years (unless I have to xray for something earlier)..I want to know hip/elbow/knee status, plus it's good to have it on file for future reference to compare changes should the need ever arise.

So it's not something you "have" to do, but if it's something you want to know, your vet can do it for you, just make sure you use a vet who's experienced in positioning and reading xrays..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As far as I know, true DDR lines are almost entirely absent of HD as it was a state controlled breeding program and rigidly bred against. That being said, there are extremely few pure DDR lines
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.