Von Giliannes - Belgian breeder. spit some thoughts? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #41 (permalink)

I gotcha Cliff, I'm just messing around. I'm no SchH god, just a minion! My SchH dog is not one that responds to the type of training and handling that gets those flashy points so luckily I couldn't train that way even if I wanted to. For me the value of owning dogs is in the training and working together. If I can step out on the field in a trial and get a high G or SG then I'm totally satisfied with that. I mean, if my boss comes over to me at work and says "very good!" I'm happy with myself and proud of myself. The same is true for my dog. I do not train to compete for the top spots I just train and hope that I can show off my dog for what he is and do as well in trial as we do in training. If the top scoring competitors are focused on flash and points, I guess I'm OK with that to an extent. At least, I've never felt my dog was scored unfairly because he is not that type (and he's a showline). So far I felt he got what we earned at his SDA and SchH trials.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #42 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You are always welcome.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think when you take a dog like "this" to training they don't recognize the virtues and have difficulty training . My experience with a few that went the SchH route , and that included "Chunko" who went to Nationals and was "'Decoys Choice" and who was always signaled out and commented on for his real power -- yet this dog was so stable immediately after the protection routine a 10 year old could walk him back to his families table -- with the dog having full manners .

They want to make this into "that" something that they are familiar with , more prey, more craziness, taking activity to indicate being in drive.

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #44 (permalink)

Cliff, just want to say that there are some lines that are more "sportier" here also depending on what type of activities and goals the breeders have. I guess this is also true for the rest of EU. The biggest difference is that basically all in EU breeds for SCH, but in sweden there are other sports that have influenced the breedings more before SCH even started to come around here. So it´s more a mix of different sports or servicedogs used.

I may be wrong but it seems today some dogs get quite a lot of breedings just because they are flashy in SCH, they may fly into the sleeve but doesn´t really show anything more that is impressive. Then there is of course also dogs that are flashy but also seems to have much of everything. Maybe a problem is if to many breeds to the sportier dogs that lacks in other areas, or those dogs that that are labeled good or even extreme but really aren´t that different from many other dogs you see in SCH.

A rather typical GSD from primarly swedish workinglines in many generations is this one, no couch potato but not so lively that some of the more sportier dogs seems to be, doing some form of norwegian mental test here,
Huldrans Herax - German Shepherd Dog

björn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do have a line with Zunderland and haus Sevens dogs - KNPV met lof (Tarik - later to become a police dog in New Jersey). In my digging around for information I found that Zunderland has a reputation for hard intense dogs , "
good nerves , is handler hard ( which is NOT handler aggressive ) has a good balance of intense prey, fight, defense, hunt and hardness in all situations. "

I found that they are handler hard , high pain threshold and forgiving , not handler aggressive .

The Norwegian mentality test looks like an Ingmar Bergmann movie - the spooks in the woods, the thoughts about the end of it all --
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Bjorn from your mouth to my ears....lol. People get offended when I talk about "sporty" dogs, like they don't exist, or are rare. Nothing is absolute, but the breeding you are talking about in Sweden from older lines is exactly what I am talking about. I just like balanced dogs naturally, biddable naturally, and nothing over the top except nerve.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That temperament test is one of the most bazaar things I've ever seen!!! So creepy! So weird! Yet strangely awesome! I wonder if that dog passed the test. Sure seems like it. I know there were a few sections of that test that I don't think my dog would react well with. Thanks for sharing!

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #48 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That test was very creepy! I felt like I was watching some weird movie.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #49 (permalink)

OMG I would LOVE to do one of those tests!! How COOL !!! and nice dog, he can come live with me

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does anyone know why they let the dog off lead once the creepy people had finished approaching? How does the dog decide they are no longer a threat? Isn't it dangerous since the dog could still view them as a threat? Or maybe in some way this demonstrates the balance in the dog?

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.