Von Giliannes - Belgian breeder. spit some thoughts? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I love that protection routine!!!! Yeah yeah I know his butt did not touch Thr ground on some sits....whatever! But his transports, clean calm, looking straight ahead ready to apprehend or ready to mrespond to a counter command from the owner. No hyperactive repeated forging. Nothing stylish but very very functional and real. I'm sure the Sch gods can nitpick the performance, but I saw a rock solid routine.
Finally was able to get YouTube to download onto my phone. Very nice dog!!! This is the type of dog that smart breeders use.

Cliff, you need to get out more. The SchH gods I train with would see the quality of this dog and appreciate the dog for who he is. Yes, just like you, they would see the places where points might be taken, but that is only a small part of the whole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There are a couple of things that caught my eye about this dog. First, the guarding. He stands in front of the helper vs sitting. Some of the best dogs I have ever seen, work this way and each one of those dogs brought a level of seriousness to the work that was quite clear, just as it is here. I have owned dogs over the years and have some now, who do not want to sit in front of the helper. For me, that's simply ideal.

He flies after the helper on the escape and when the attacks come, he really brings it. He accelerates into the helper on the attack out of the back transport and the courage test you can see the power, even though he doesn't leave the ground 20 feet away from him, ( something so many finds desirable now). You can see the serious in this style as well but he is really very compliant. That leads me to my next SchH myth rebuke that hard, tough dogs are difficult to control. I have never known that to be the case, the serious dogs are much more willing to work with the handler IF they have the right genetics..

I actually think there are dogs like this still but not common, just like they were not that common years and years ago. We can pretend that all the dogs were just great back then but they were not. They were different, and overall better than many we see now in that protection was REALLY protection, but the great dogs were not "common". We saw less balance in the dogs then, just like now. However, it was different in that the dogs were all trained too much on the "defense" side of things and the control was not there. Now, we see the pendulum has swung all the way to the other side where there is perfect control, ( and ridiculous circus type obedience), but the power( and use of the protective instinct in the dogs), is simply not there. We watch the dogs now with suspicion because the training is hiding so much of what might be bad but in my opinion, can also be the good side of the dogs.
I think people have become so RIDICULOUS about being flashy and throwing in that kind of silly obedience in the middle of protection, it takes away from the performance. In this video, you can watch and actually see who the dog is, without being distracted, ( or disappointed in my case...lol...), because of the "side show" quality people insert into protection now. The handler throws in some flash but again, it is nothing that takes away from the dog himself.

One last thing about SchH...I have complained pretty loudly about what it is now. However, I think if you show up with a good dog, who is not flashy but shows correctly...just like in this video, you can get high points. This dog got a V, so, the idea that you can't score well without the flash, is simply not correct. There are judges out there who appreciate good dogs. They are not usually easy judges and are therefore not used much by SchH clubs but those are the more enjoyable judges to show under if you care about who your dog is and want that aspect emphasized.

As for Carmen's comments about Enno Beilstein...best GSD I have ever seen. It was said by many Germans it was a mistake he left Germany. If he had stayed, maybe people would be more excited about him but this was really one of the great dogs of all time, for so many reasons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

Last edited by Vandal; 08-23-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Amen Vandal!
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lisa, I go to local trials, I go to regional trials( in my region), I go to the nationals when on the east coast or as far as Indiana, Ohio, where should I be going?.....lol
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #35 (permalink)

Start with visiting Lisa's club!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What will I see different at her club
Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #37 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I am saying that there are people, especially in my region, that appreciate these dogs. They are able to look past some minor point deductions and see the real dog. I didn't say they all own these types of dogs now or you will see them everywhere.

I train with these people on a regular basis. I go out to eat with them, I sit and chat dogs with them. I see what they own, what they have owned in the past and I listen to what they say.

Thank you, Lies, but I would not consider any member of our club a SchH god.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
What will I see different at her club
Me of course
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are people here in the good ole East that would recognize a good dog like that.....but being as there are no Sch Gods in your club, Lisa, I'm obviously not referring to them. I am more referring to the type of training, emphasis, and scoring I often see at trials. I keep seeing another type dog and training that seem to be rewarded at trials. My bad.....times have changed and the sport is back to looking for power and steady over speed and choreography.
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Btw, I would love to come to you and Lisa's club to train and watch you train....would love to pick Lisa's brain on some specific west working dogs over the years....my comment was more in reference to what is type of dog I see a lot of today as opposed to individual people and their knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.