What does "bred from mink line" tells me about my dog's genetics? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default What does "bred from mink line" tells me about my dog's genetics?

Hey everyone,

So, I finally got around to putting my dog (along with his rediculous name) in pedigreedatabase. I had someone who's knowledgeable enough take a look at what I could piece together (no sire information in pedigreedatabse) and was told the mother's side is bred from mink line.

So, what does that tell me about my dog's genetics? Anyone care to chime in? I'm really curious.

Here's what I could piece together:
6 gen. pedigree for Sir Einstein Whinesalot - German shepherd dog

Any info on the dog's line will be helpful - I know without the sire there's not much that can be said but I'm still curious as to what I can actually piece together
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ferro, Troll, and Mink

Fero, Mink, and Lord Free Dogs, Oh My!

Dog Profiles- Your favorites

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

That is so darned far back that it doesnt tell you much of anything.........

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
That is so darned far back that it doesnt tell you much of anything.........
lol I know - I'm just clinging to straws here because I'm curious and want to learn a little about working lines
Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

So you have to have something on the sire since you have an AKC registration number, no?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

yes but he's not registered in pedigree database. I could probably fill that in once I get home and find his DN number and such
Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

One occurrence of Mink several generations back wouldn't constitute "Mink lines" to me.

I'd definitely be looking at dogs closer in the pedigree. Particularly as there are some easily traceable dogs there and it's always better to get information from people who knew the dogs and breedings firsthand.

Frisko Leerburg of course comes from Ed Frawley's breeding. He'd possibly be one to ask about the dogs in that part of the pedigree. I remember seeing this dog at a seminar probably 10 years or so ago, but don't remember any real details. If I'm not mistaken his owners, the Glitzerstern kennel, is/was here in the midwest area... OH or IN I think. Can't remember their names for sure, though I think the hubby was Jerry something, but I know they have/had a website. So some Google might turn up means to contact them and ask for more info about those dogs.

Qwazy Heidi is from Nate Harve's breeding, out of Mike Diehl's Brawnson. Again two very knowledgeable, easy to find and contact people, who would be the best to talk with to get more information about those dogs.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What I think Chris is politely saying is there are different ways to acquire this information about your dog and since you are a self described newbie on pedigrees....then the besy way is to get the information as close to your dogs as possible. Why? Because the dog is made of genetic (genotype) and physical expression,(looks or phenotype). To really under the pedigree you must have a thorough understand of the phenotype associated with the dog being mentioned so the genotype can be meaningful. So the advice Chris is giving, is to go to people who know or owned the dogs close up in the pedigree, to give you some phenotype or infomation on the physical/mental makeup of these dogs. Then you can start to piece together what you see with traits from different immediate parents as told to you from people who KNEW the dogs. This kind of information builds a database in your mind about dogs as certain traits keep occurring or reoccurring with certain dogs. For breeders this is necessary to be a knowledgable breeder and for owners it is the way to learn of your dog's background properly if you are interested like you say.
This is why some get perturbed when people only want pedigree information in the form of an analysis like I sometimes give(or Lisa, Sue, Chris, Carmen, Lee, RubyTuesday, Doc, and many others) about a dog. All of these people have many years , experience and hands on with this breed in a QUEST to understand the genetic side of the equation; knowing they had to have the experience part for the information to make sense.
So, see if you can get in touch with the owners/breeders of some of the dogs in the pedigree. That's the best place to start.JMO
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
So, see if you can get in touch with the owners/breeders of some of the dogs in the pedigree. That's the best place to start.JMO
And then you see how deep the rabbit hole goes....
Ace952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Joey's great great grandfather was Mink vom haus Wittfeld.

Would that be considered a "mink line"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.