general linebreeding question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default general linebreeding question

I was wondering if the dogs are considered closely related if the mating check on PDB shows linebreeding in 5 generations like this:
5 - 4,4 ... in xxx
5 - 4 ... in yyy
4 - 3 ... in zzz

What does the linebreeding mean in terms of making a decision in choosing dogs for breeding? Does linebreeding on only few dogs will produce progeny with predictable qualities close to what those common dogs are known for producing?

I'm a complete dummy in pedigrees but I want to change that and gain a little knowledge I'm just interested for educational purposes, and I find mating check handy for looking for common ancestry in different pedigrees. Thank you!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: general linebreeding question

Linebreeding is done to increase the chance of locking in a working ability, structure, etc. Showlines are typically more linebred than working lines. Showlines are also now seeing more linebreeding depression because of it. (less pups in a litter), so more isn't always better, sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. I personally, don't linebreed every generation. I outcross every other. So grandma oxana, linebred, diesel (her daughter) not linebred, jaxson (her son) linebred.
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In the example you gave I actually like those combinations if....the 4-3 dog is super in the area I am looking to improve....and the parents of these this dog(4-5) also gave the same phenotype in this area. Hope this makes sense!
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you, Angela and Cliff!

Cliff, could you please elaborate a little bit with an example? Let's say, I want to improve hips so I look for a hip improver (4-3) and also make sure that the parents of this dog also were hip improvers or just had good hips themselves? What if I want to improve aggression?

I realize that linebreeding is not like put two good dogs with nice pedigrees together and see what happens, there should be a science behind it, but I'm still a little bit in a loss.

First I thought that outcrossing is the best then I started thinking that it may mean introducing too much of unpredictable qualities and unability to develop a breeding program, so linebreeding is important. Is a larger number of common dogs in the pedigree more preferable than just a two or three (sometimes I see 10, 12 pairs of 4-4, 4-5, 5-5, and with a 3-3 in there as well, in one dog's pedigree)?

I like the idea of outcrossing every other generation, though.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well a 4-3 linebreeding on a noted hip improver like Aly Vordinsteinwald is something I would do if hips and conformation were two areas I was looking to improve. Since Aly has been shown to be an excellent producer of hips then the parents aren't as important unless they had something I want to stay away from. Now if it was agression that I was doing 4-3 type linebred on (like Falko vom Haus Sindern) then it gets more complicated as I look at Falko's parents, and the nerve strength of my females and the nerve strength of the dogs in generations 1,2,3. Nothing is worse then increasing agression without a foundation of nerve strength to keep the dog balanced. JMO
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you for the examples! Some food for thought for me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.