What shots do my older dogs need? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

What shots do my older dogs need?

I have three senior dogs: 13 year old lab, 10 year old lab, approximately 10 year old small terrier.

I love my vet, but he has been a bit slow, in my opinion, about realizing that the dogs don't need as many annual vaccinations as they used to think.

What is the Canine DA2PP vaccine? Is this for distemper and parvo? They have one of my labs due for it after receiving a three-year shot, but the terrier they say is due after one year. I have read somewhere that it is the same shot, so why three years for one dog and only one year for the other?

Apparently, they are also due for the Leptospirosis shot after one year. I feel this is important for my dogs to have, but unsure whether they need it every single year??

The rabies is, of course, by law, so I wouldn't consider letting them go without that one. But does anyone have opinions about whether senior dogs need all of these shots? I have also read that in many cases senior dogs don't need any more shots at all, ever. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

They must be immune by now. Rabies, you have to follow the legal requirements. I don't give any shots after their first year. I am planning a titer after 5 years to check for immunity.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

Only rabies and DA2PP are on a 3-year cycle. Yes, that's the distemper and parvo shot.

The lepto booster is only good for 12 months (and full protection likely fades even sooner than that). If you have lepto in your area, it's one that I wouldn't skip -- if not caught quickly, it causes rapid kidney failure. Ask if your vet is seeing cases of lepto in dogs, in the clinic.

Rabies is available a 3-year shot. Your dog may still have immunity (and that could be checked with a titer), but in some states, you are legally required to get the shot anyway. You'll have to research your own state's requirements on that. We've had a thread recently about what the penalties for the dog can be for skipping it in places where it's required.

Bordatella is needed every 6 months if you board. Canine flu is an annual booster. That's one that you can also make a geographic decision on (if you are in the states that had the bad outbreak, or the contiguous states, you might consider it, but if you are several states away, maybe not).
LP08SS likes this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

Rabies is required by law in most states so not much choice there. When my previous dogs were seniors my vet did not argue with my choice to opt not to give any other vaccines.

Lifelong Immunity: Why Are Vets Pushing Back?

Vaccination Interviews with Dr. Ron Schultz ? May 2013 - Pet Health - Green Acres Kennel Shop
cherub737 likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Only rabies and DA2PP are on a 3-year cycle. Yes, that's the distemper and parvo shot.

I thought DA2PP was quad cocktail of (1)distemper, (2)adenovirus-2, (3)parainfluenza and (4)parvovirus? Not just a Dist/Parvo?

You can titer for Distemper and Parvo and if testing shows sufficient coverage, you would not have to get them.
If one is sufficient and one is not after titer results......you can ask for a "single" vac.

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 03-28-2017 at 10:45 AM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Knighted Member

I would just do rabies
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:02 PM

I agree, Rabies if required by law. My female lived to be 14 yrs and she only had her puppy shots...nothing after that but rabies. I do titer every year but at the end of her 14 yrs, she was still with good immunity. Anything else would really depend on where you live and what you do with your dogs. If they are in high wildlife areas then you may consider additional...but also checking that most vaccines given only cover a few strains. A good place to look is on mercola.com and look under "healthy pets" Dr. Karen Becker has numerous videos on vaccines...and by those testing who opt themselves to keep it to a minimum.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherub737 View Post
I agree, Rabies if required by law. My female lived to be 14 yrs and she only had her puppy shots...nothing after that but rabies. I do titer every year but at the end of her 14 yrs, she was still with good immunity. Anything else would really depend on where you live and what you do with your dogs. If they are in high wildlife areas then you may consider additional...but also checking that most vaccines given only cover a few strains. A good place to look is on mercola.com and look under "healthy pets" Dr. Karen Becker has numerous videos on vaccines...and by those testing who opt themselves to keep it to a minimum.
We live in wild life area and I am sure the dog gets re-vaccinated all the time by natural ways.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

I was just saw today about vets going up against the government because of over vaccinating. I was at work so I didn't read it but I'm thinking it's about rabies since it's the government,

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Knighted Member

I would titer and watch parvo immunities. I know someone who lost an 8 yr old GSD to parvo when they brought in a puppy from a shelter who died of parvo. Their dog had been immunized but not recently and apparently was not immune.
cherub737 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page