Bravecto - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Bravecto

Last visit to vets office I purchased a flee/tick product called "Bravecto". Before I give this to my boy I thought I would check to see if anyone had any comments or concerns about this product. This is new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTinsley View Post
Last visit to vets office I purchased a flee/tick product called "Bravecto". Before I give this to my boy I thought I would check to see if anyone had any comments or concerns about this product. This is new to me.

We used to use it, and then I found that there are thousands of reported complaints online of problems with it, even deaths. I guess they must not be enough to take it off the shelves, as they still sell it, but it made me think twice and switch to something else. There's a Facebook group called "Does Bravecto kill dogs?" with more than 25k members. Some interesting stuff is posted if you want to look.
DennisTinsley likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Knighted Member

If your vet trusts it and say your dog needs it, you are probably safe. I saw somewhere else that over 34,000,000 doses have been used by dogs. The Facebook and other hysteria type posts are personal anecdotes and may not have been caused by the medication at all. I would weigh why you are using it rather than something else against risks and weigh the benefits. Bravecto works well on fleas and ticks. It also keeps mange and skin ailments caused by mange under control. If you have an older dog, you should get blood test first to make sure there are no hidden conditions that would make it dangerous to take.

If it was actually killing dogs, vets would not use it and someone would have sued by now. The active ingredient has been around for a long time.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

My vet recommended it, gave it to us and I returned it. I came home and very recent reviews were horrible. There are times that I will listen to the vet, but I don't do so without my own research. I am the voice for my dogs and all decisions I make will affect them.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Elite Member

I used it last year on both my dogs with zero ill side effects and outstanding tick protection, so I will probably do it again this year... Depending on how bad the ticks are
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:10 PM

I use it all spring and summer with all 5 of my dogs. A lot of people I know use it as well. I live in tick country where lymes disease is prominent! My dogs get the lymes disease vaccination, but I'd rather be safe then sorry! It one of the only drugs that is great with ticks..
A lot of the parasite (flea, tick control) have many dogs that have different reactions.
If you are nervous using it bring your dogs to the vet and get them to administer it there. Or just watch them closely for the first few days!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Master Member

When it first came out, I read horrendous reviews of dogs being harmed and even dying after using. I personally will not use it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:35 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytrefry View Post
I use it all spring and summer with all 5 of my dogs. A lot of people I know use it as well. I live in tick country where lymes disease is prominent! My dogs get the lymes disease vaccination, but I'd rather be safe then sorry! It one of the only drugs that is great with ticks..
A lot of the parasite (flea, tick control) have many dogs that have different reactions.
If you are nervous using it bring your dogs to the vet and get them to administer it there. Or just watch them closely for the first few days!
There are also recent reports in the last year, about topicals no longer working on fleas in some parts of the country. I tried another med, Comfortis, and it did not work. I try to look at scientific studies, not self diagnoses. Someone should look into deaths and do research to find out if the medications are to blame or if they are just rumors or coincidences. The internet is a good place to research and also notorious for providing bad information too.

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 02-14-2017 at 07:38 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

All three of my dogs use it in the warmer months. No issues from any of them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:53 PM
Elite Member

I have been using Nexguard with no problems. It is molecularly similar to Bravecto but only lasts a month. Great results. I used to use a topical, Advantix II and it did not work for my dog. I don't like using any of this but the concern of ticks and the diseases they carry leads me to this solution.

You could also probably read about the horrendous stories of dogs with tick-born diseases as well.

All decisions have costs.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page