German Shepherds Forum banner

clipping nails

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Galathiel 
#1 ·
Any good tips on clipping nails? Favorite clippers to use? Good instructional videos?

#3 ·
I combine manual nail clip with brushing, which is a pleasure for the dog. Stand- brush dog. Down- lie on side and clip the nails with much praise.

#4 ·
Dremel here! Russell and the puppy Scarlet come unwound over the nail clippers, but the dremel is fine. I've been dremeling Scarlet's nails every Friday. I use the cordless Dremel Micro with a diamond carbide sanding drum.

#9 ·
this. I am TERRIFIED of clipping her nails now bc the first time I did it I cut a tiny bit too close to the quick and it did bleed like a drop or two - but poor pup whined bloody murder for about 10 mins. I'm mentally scarred and she might be too. LOL

#6 ·
Dremel if their nails have been kept up pretty well, otherwise a combo of nail clippers (safari brand is excellent, using it on my current pup) and the oster lithium ion dremel. It's cordless and rechargeable, has two speed settings. I have no complaints, though it could be loud for some sound sensitive dogs. The combo of the two work nicely when you're dealing with nails that are a little long because you can cut them down a bit with the clippers and round off the tips with the dremel without being afraid of hitting the quick.

#13 ·
I'm using the cheap Dremel I picked up at Walmart a few years ago. Under $30. We have replaced the drums a few times.

I man the treats and my husband dremels the nails. He has a better touch with it, although if I try to do it, I can do it by myself (I'm not sure my husband could do it without my being the treat dispenser). Takes less than 5 minutes and Varik is very excited to do it since I pretty much jackpot the whole time (I use little treats that I then pinch in half or fourths so he's just getting little pieces).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.