German Shepherds Forum banner

Ear cleaning?

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  SamsontheGSD 
#1 ·
Do any of you ever gently clean/wipe out your pups outer ear? Or is this a huge no-no? I know their ears are delicate. Ghost seems to have a little bit of wax buildup. Doesn't seem to bother her though. Thoughts?

#3 · (Edited)
Yessum, as a matter of fact some GSDs do get a yeast build up in their ears. The only time Scout had ever bowed up to me was because I was trying to look in his hears to see what was wrong with him. The vet had to muzzle him to wipe the yeast out. The vet told me in December during Ranger's 1st visit he wanted to mess with Ranger's ears and for me to wipe out his ears so that he will get used to it while he is young. I just use disposable wipes and it doesn't bother him.

Reactions: lalabug
#4 ·
Yes. I use a gauze square or soft cotton pad drenched in Zymox's ear cleaning solution. I also sometimes use Wondercide's ear cleaning solution. Both are excellent and don't sting, even if there's an issue going on. Wondercide's smells really good.

I've used vinegar and water solution too on the advice of a shelter vet but only on healthy ears. It stings terribly if there's any problems, and once you've caused pain that way, you'll have trouble getting them to let you clean the ears again.

#13 ·
Our vet recommended Dermapet Malacetic Otic Ear Cleaner. It's a liquid you just squirt into their ears then you gently message the base of the ear. I do this outside and let the dog shake it out. Then I use a clean cotton swab to dry the ear. This worked well for my doberman who didn't have her ears cut. Kept them clear as long as we had her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.