German Shepherds Forum banner

Best age for spaying female

16K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Dainerra 
#1 ·
I have 8 month old female. Not going to breed her. What is best age to be spayed?

#4 ·
#5 ·
I have a dog that had a pediatric spay with no side effects. I would wait until 12 months at the earliest for a female and 18 for a male neuter. Realize most of us believe in late speuter if necessary or none at all, so the answers you get are going to lead toward older.

#7 ·
I've researched this topic to death as I believe hormones are essential for proper development and health. Like 'wolfy dog' I may leave my pup intact. If not, I will leave her ovaries and have her uterus removed. Since she's already had one heat and about to have her second, there is NO health preventative/benefit to removing her ovaries per the vet I trust.

#12 ·
Since I decided to keep her hormones I decided not to spay her at all. The role of the uterus is not completely understood. But you have to keep an eye on her behavior in case she develops pyometra. That's the only thing to worry about. And it doesn't occur in every female. It is not as common as everyone likes to believe. But you have to be vigilant; when she licks the vulva, check it out if there is a discharge (open pyometra, draining) and if she slows down before her age, take her to the vet to make sure it not a closed pyometra, which is life threatening but by then they are already really sick. And dealing with the heat cycles is not that bad.
And what who cares if she gets bred by a Bassett Hound? (joking!!!!)

#13 ·
You know this is what I hate about adopting from a shelter you have no choice but to have the dog spayed. Over 24 years of owning dogs usually 3 to 5 at a time I have always had some fixed some not. I HAVE NEVER HAD PUPPIES. Just made sure to either have all the same sex dog or the one from the pound happen to be the fixed opposite sex.

While I would never breed my dogs I do agree that they need their hormones and it is a shame we are forced to if we want to adopt one from the local shelter. But it is what it is and ever since my puppy had surgery she seems to have a small accident when scared or overexcited that never happened the 2 months we fostered her before adopting her. I keep praying she will out grow it but I don't know if that is even possible. Much less worried about what all being without hormones will do to her long term.

#14 ·
Reactions: gsdluvr
#15 ·
good question.

I've watched my gal go through her first two heats. We also have an intact male at home. The first heat was not too bad. My boy just laid by her crate all day (and she wore bloomers). The second heat was tougher. About a month before she started to bleed, she got shy and unsure of herself. It was like watching an angsty teenager. And my boy was worthless for training (we do IPO). Also we lost sleep as our boy was pining for his love a couple of nights. But we got through it. I'm going to wait as close to her third heat as I can and then get her spay (and perhaps have her stomach tacked while she is under). I don't want to have to miss two months of training and hiking, etc, because my dogs are emotionally funky.

I was interested in OSS. And there is a good support group on facebook. I think they keep a current list of Vets who perform
the surgery.
also https://www.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/ovary-sparing-spray/

#17 ·
good question.
I was interested in OSS. And there is a good support group on facebook. I think they keep a current list of Vets who perform
the surgery.
also https://www.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/ovary-sparing-spray/
With OSS she will still be in heat and attractive to your and every other male. The only benefit for OSS is that she doesn't beel or abe able to develop pyometra al though this is still possible in the uterine 'stump' that is left after the OSS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.