German Shepherds Forum banner

Keeping dust off back legs and tail

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  telavivgsd 
#1 ·
Hi all!

Quick grooming question - Klaus has a great shiny coat - especially over his shoulders and down his back.
However, I've noticed the fur on his back legs, tail, and right above his tail doesn't look so shiny or nice. Especially on his tail, the fur looks kind of frazzled, almost like split ends or something. Part of it, I guess, is he has less guard hairs there, especially on his tail, and the other thing is that the ground here is pure dust, so when he sits outside not in the grass, his tail and hind legs get super dusty. This happens multiple times a day.

Obviously I don't want to give him a million baths (though if he had his way I would - I can't get that dog out of the bathtub :laugh2:), so I wondered if anyone had any advice to deal with this.

Right now I brush him every other day first with a rake, then a slicker brush. I tried a rubber curry comb but it didn't do much for him. The brushing doesn't seem to fix the dustiness as the dust is very fine.

Does anyone have a good way to get dust out of the hair without a bath?

TIA! :smile2:

See less See more
#5 ·
I really like this product.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Stuff-16oz-Conditioner-Detangler/dp/B0002H3RLU

I was introduced to it by a farmer. It certainly doesn't repel ALL the dirt and nasty stuff, but it does make a difference. If I'm going to run my dogs in tall grass/thistles/exceptionally bad mud, spraying them beforehand seems to minimize the amount of junk that they drag back inside. And when they do get into burs/thorns/mud clods, it brushes right off.

#6 ·
I really like this product.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Stuff-16oz-Conditioner-Detangler/dp/B0002H3RLU

I was introduced to it by a farmer. It certainly doesn't repel ALL the dirt and nasty stuff, but it does make a difference. If I'm going to run my dogs in tall grass/thistles/exceptionally bad mud, spraying them beforehand seems to minimize the amount of junk that they drag back inside. And when they do get into burs/thorns/mud clods, it brushes right off.

Wow that looks perfect! I'll have to try to find a way to get some! Thanks a bunch :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I used The Stuff on my Rough Collie when herding due to her having to work through briars and bramble. She was 'real' herding, not just on an open field. The Stuff is silicon based and used on a regular basis it will cause coat breakage. It will allow you to easier brush out briars and picked up branches, etc. your dog runs through. Whether or not it will stop dust, I don't know. It should help you brush it out easier. We have a lot of red clay dust here right now due to lack of rain in months, I just brush it out. I quit using The Stuff when it wasn't needed. A good conditioner, that's not washed out completely, should work just as well.

#10 ·
I'll just try some extra conditioner in that case until I could find the other stuff. As we're getting into the rainy season, hopefully the problem will kind of resolve itself too.

I wondered about corn starch (maybe that's stupid) since it helps to get sand out, but at the same time it's like adding more dust to dust.

Carmspack - Right now he gets an egg and two tablespoons of yogurt a day, plus high quality kibble, and cheese and chicken for treats. Do you think I should add fish oil, or is there a better source of fatty acids?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.