German Shepherds Forum banner

6 year old slovkian import shots

890 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Momto2GSDs 
#1 ·
SOS what shots does my dog really need after all these years?

okay my dog never goes to dog parks or comes in contact with other dogs.

total loner doesnt like to mix with others.

SIx years old now every year we have gotten 4 shots , lymes bordello, distemper, rabies

now we got a 3 year rabie shot

but every year we go in for the 3 others

she has had lymes in the past lymes disease

okay now we treat her for heart work 6 months also and tested for it

My question is what shots does she really need now yearly after going 6 years with all these shots? after she gets these shots shes nasty for a few days then is okay

a vet told me that after a while you can start to skip on some shots like distemper

and shes already had lymes should she be getting the shot all the vets here seem to say yes??

i just dont know sometimes

my dog does have allergies they are under control now with monthly allergy shots

See less See more
#3 ·
Dog to dog contact is not necessary to contract a host of nasty diseases.

Keeping your dog from contact with other dogs, or where other dogs have been, just may backfire on you. It is kind of like keeping a child in a bubble. It is proven that kids who play in the dirt, especially from families with lots of other children, have stronger and healthier immune systems.

When I was a kid and dogs roamed the streets freely and had frequent dog to dog exposure as well as contact with germs and viruses throughout the neighborhood, a vet once told me that they liked to give puppy shots and vaccinate annually until the dog is one or two years old, as back then, dogs would have plenty of contact with diseases and would continually have their immunity boosted by this contact.

With that said, in conjunction with GSDs now having a lifespan of 8-10 years, down from 10-12 years, I think stopping at 6-8 years would be fine, but you can always have your vet check your dog's titers for further peace of mind.

#4 ·
Read up on Dr. Jean Dodd's vaccination schedule. Most vaccines cover dogs for 5-9 (through testing) years and many for a lifetime. I, personally would not vaccinate again except for rabies by law.

#5 · (Edited)
VACCINATION PROTOCOL - Per Dr. Jean Dodds

9-10 Weeks Old: Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV)
14-16 Weeks:Same as above
20 Weeks or Older (if allowable by law):Rabies
1 Year: Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (optional = titer)
1 Year:Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)
Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request. See the Rabies Challenge Fund website.
W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Hemopet / NutriScan
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843

Dr. Ron Schultz:
Minimum Duration Of Immunity For Canine Vaccines
Distemper- 7 years by challenge/15 years by serology
Parvovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Adenovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 9 years by serology
Canine rabies – 3 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Dr Schultz concludes: “Vaccines for diseases like distemper and canine parvovirus, once administered to adult animals, provide lifetime immunity.” (Are we vaccinating too much JAVMA, No. 4, August 15, 1995, pg. 421)

All dogs are individuals and can hold antibodies differently, but both of my dogs had 1 Distemper and 1 Parvo vaccination (separately) when they were 12 - 16 weeks old. They are now 9 1/2 and 8 years old and their titers are still coming back more than adequate proving Dr. Schultz study.

Moms:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.