Vaccine Reaction(non GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Vaccine Reaction(non GSD)

My friend got the lepto shot for both her dogs on Saturday. By Sunday one of the dogs was acting more lethargic and running a temp, but she chalked it up to being exhausted because of an all day play date on Sunday. I got a text this morning because she wasn't going to work, but taking him in to the vet. The vet said a reaction to the shot and his temp was almost 105. Is it normal to still be running a temp 5 days after the vaccine? He weighs about 30 pounds and is 3 yrs old. She also gave him revolution on Tues, which he always gets without issue. The reg vets aren't in, so she seen another vet that was filling in. I don't think it's normal to have a fever for that many days. What do you guys think? He is really not wanting to eat and picks at his food and she had to pour some water from a bottle for him to drink. He is also walking stiffly, which might be because of where the shot was given. I think she should possibly call a different vet, what do you guys think?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am pretty sure that isn't normal. From my experience vaccs reactions like this present within 24 hrs. I would be calling another vet.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, definite reaction!

Dr. Jean Dodds - Vaccination Researcher: "Beyond the immediate hypersensitivity reactions, other acute events tend to occur 24 to 72 hours afterward, or 7 to 45 days later in a delayed type immunological response. 1,6,9,10 Even more delayed adverse effects include mortality from hightitered measles vaccine in infants, canine distemper antibodies in joint diseases of dogs, and feline injection site
fibrosarcomas." Dogs Predisposed to Vaccine Reactions

Here are a few of my notes on Lepto:
Dr Patricia Jordan is a vet who has done a great deal of research into the vaccine issue. She added these comments: "Kidney failure is a common sequel to vaccination. The basement membrane is susceptible to damage from a clogging that results as the immune complexes are drained via the lymphatics. The kidney is a big part of the lymphatic system. The body tries to clear the toxins in the vaccines and there is damage done in this clearing mechanism.” Doctor Jordan goes on to say in another article that if you want to see 4 or more years of skin issues and itching……go ahead and give your dog the Lepto! http://dr-jordan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/LEPTOMANIA-by-Dr.-Patricia-Jordan.pdfSMOKE AND MIRRORS | Dogs Naturally Magazine Her book is called "Mark Of The Beast - Hidden In Plain Sight"

"Lepto is a very adverse event associated vaccine and the damndest thing is that lepto vaccines simply do not work. Dr Ron Schultz (the world's foremost independent authority on canine vaccines) hates to see them in with anything else and, in puppies, advises that they are completely finished with the viral inoculations before getting a vaccine against Lepto, which he neither recommends nor advocates - even in Lepto endemic areas. I have seen older dogs go into kidney failure within two days of receiving a Lepto vaccine."

Vaccines can also cause the disease you're attempting to prevent. In the Canine Health Concern vaccine survey, 100% of dogs with leptospirosis contracted it just after being vaccinated against it. Leptospirosis, of course, attacks the kidneys - and the puppy had severe kidney damage. http://www.dogsadverserea...cines/vaccineDamage.html

I hope her dog is ok.
Moms

Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Any update on your friends dog?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Any update on your friends dog?
She claims he perked up but still isn't eating great. I'm not pushing the issue with her, but I still feel something isn't right. She's very vague about it to. The dog has to go in for the booster in a couple weeks.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
She claims he perked up but still isn't eating great. I'm not pushing the issue with her, but I still feel something isn't right. She's very vague about it to. The dog has to go in for the booster in a couple weeks.
Wow!
Sure hope she reconsiders getting that booster!
I mean, the vet even said it was a reaction!

Moms
Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't vaccinate for Lepto and never had a a dog get sick. They all have swam in various bodies of water.
Over vaccination is IMO more dangerous than life itself.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just vaxd for Lepto after finding out my vet has treated 4 cases in the last year, all from where I go backpacking and hiking. My dog had his booster last week and no reaction at all. Of course, he is 82lbs-- 3 years old this last June.

It's also possible that the dog picked up something at the vet-- hard to say but if I were her I'd be careful with the booster. Maybe administer benadryl first, or even rethink it if she's sure it was the vax.

Wolfy, just because you've never had a dog get sick doesn't mean that people shouldn't vax. I freaking hate statements like that. "I texted last night while I drove and I didn't get in an accident-- so texting must be safe for everyone".

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

From everything I've read about the lepto vaccine, smaller breeds and coat color(white/creme) seem to have reactions to the vax.
If this were my dog, I'd be on the phone with the vet and make sure they report the reaction. I bet there are way more reactions than reported, most people don't relate the dogs condition to getting jabbed.
I hope I'm wrong, but I've also read that the Lepto vaccine is the same dose regardless of the dogs size, why are the professionals allowing that to happen? You'd think they would give dosage according to size if there are so many issues with smaller dogs.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would be interested in why the dose is the same too-- I would suspect there is a reason, but who knows.

Some dogs will never really 'need' the vax. If I had a small dog, I would definitely weigh the risk/benefit.

However, again: Saying just because one's dog hasn't gotten it, is like saying tick or flea repellents aren't necessary because 'my dog hasn't ever gotten one'.

(We don't really have fleas here in the dry inland mountain country, but that doesn't mean other dogs don't get fleas!)

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.