Hot cars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hot cars

Today I decided to feel what it is like inside a closed car on a cloudy 85f day. Outside was fine, quite pleasant. I turned off the car and started timing how long it took before I was uncomfortable. After 5 minutes, I started to feel stuffy. After 10, I was covered in sweat.. 20 and I was very weak.. I lasted about 30 minutes before a started getting dizzy and had to end it. I can only imagine how horrible that must be in a thick fur coat. What kind of people could do that to a living thing??? Please. If you ever see an animal shut in a car.... Even if it is cloudy... Even if it appears the owner will soon return.. Say something, do ANYTHING to get it out of there. I have always heard how quickly the temperature rises, but today I learned how that feels.
Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

All good but before someone makes a fool of themselves, make sure the the ac is not running and the dogs are really in a dangerous environment.

From the outside it looks the same but the ac could be running and the dogs inside car in a cool 74f environment! I do it all the time.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Was this with the windows down? thanks for the insight

"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right"
Psalm 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packen View Post
All good but before someone makes a fool of themselves, make sure the the ac is not running and the dogs are really in a dangerous environment.

From the outside it looks the same but the ac could be running and the dogs inside car in a cool 74f environment! I do it all the time.

Agreed

"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right"
Psalm 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Such a great topic! Sometimes in the summer time when I go to park at a grocery store I almost cringe to look around the lot, praying someone isn't dumb enough to leave kid or dog in car cause then I have to do something about it and I hate the possibility of conflict but if it means saving a life *sigh* so be it. Seriously though... I wish no one did this. :-( too many kids and dogs have died.
BARBIElovesSAILOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dog is out in my car right now. Windows down, back up, she will be fine in there all day.

Some people are really nutso about this. I mean, if the sun is down, the dog is NOT going to die in the car! And, just because you notice a dog in a car does not mean the dog LIVES in the car -- whoever it was in my parent's town that thought the dog lived in the car and called everyone from God on down to our dog warden to make sure the the dog (who was not in enough danger to call the police) was not living in the car.

MYOB. Most dogs in cars are just fine. If the dog is in distress, certainly do something. But make sure the windows are up, the sun is out, (it is not winter), and the car is not running.

Of course, if the car is running the AC can fail -- that is how so many police dogs die. The AC dies and then the dog dies.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
My dog is out in my car right now. Windows down, back up, she will be fine in there all day.

Some people are really nutso about this. I mean, if the sun is down, the dog is NOT going to die in the car! And, just because you notice a dog in a car does not mean the dog LIVES in the car -- whoever it was in my parent's town that thought the dog lived in the car and called everyone from God on down to our dog warden to make sure the the dog (who was not in enough danger to call the police) was not living in the car.

MYOB. Most dogs in cars are just fine. If the dog is in distress, certainly do something. But make sure the windows are up, the sun is out, (it is not winter), and the car is not running.

Of course, if the car is running the AC can fail -- that is how so many police dogs die. The AC dies and then the dog dies.
I agree. My dogs are always crated in the car.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I took my guys for a walk on a hot day, on the way home stopped at the grocery store, had to buy milk and was gone less then 5 minutes, i had parked in the shade windowns up car running, by the time i came out i had myself one **** of a frantic animal lover just losing it on me, yelling shaking you name it- How dare you! monster!! lol i had calmly pointed out that the car was running and the ac was on full blast..some people take it a extra step always no matter what, even to the point they are so caught up in insanity they dont realize that the car is clearly running-

I think they read so much on social media that they take it extra seriously, i am waiting for "you are abusive if you dont have air con in your house" card to be played at some point.

Last edited by misslesleedavis1; 08-14-2014 at 01:02 PM.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think you can get little stickers that say things like "car is running ac is on" for your vehicle-
Or "dog is vicious, break window lose arm" stickers lol..

There should be a commom check off list for situations like this-

Is it hot?
Is the car running?
are the windows down?
Is there even a living thing inside car?
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I leave ac on when I leave for work. i can't take it in the summer and I don't have fur. I thought everyone did that.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.