If you use Frontline - HUGE, IMPORTANT CORRECTION CERTIFECT - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default If you use Frontline - HUGE, IMPORTANT CORRECTION CERTIFECT

A heads up about Frontline. I want to share what happened to my cousin today. Both of her dogs, huskies, got very sick. They were vomiting and extremely weak. She rushed them to the vet and had to have help carrying them in because they couldn't walk. One of the dogs bled out internally and passed away, the other was saved. the vet said it was the Frontline that poisoned them. The vet contacted Merck, and right away Merck offered to pay all the vet bills and wanted the lot number from the Frontline. It's sounds to me that Merck is aware of the problem because they were too willing to take responsibility. I don't use Frontline on Wolfie, but if I did , I would be stopping right away. RIP Maya.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very curious. Frontline does not go systemic, so no idea how it would cause a dog to bleed out. I would want more answers.

How long after application did this happen?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She applied it the day before yesterday. The vet told her it permeated the skin and poisoned the dogs.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just did a quick google search and found cases of dogs dying from Frontline in a very similar manner as my cousins dog just passed away.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's just curious. Are these medical cases or peoples stories? Is there scientific evidence that it was the frontline that was the cause of death. Necropsy results, frontline found in tissues?

I am very very sorry for your friends loss. It's just horrible. And I am not saying that it wasn't the Frontline. I personally just need a lot more than a suspicion. I like science. But that is me. I am going to talk to my vets about this tomorrow. Scary if it's possible.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are blogs and posts from pet owners plus several news article from associated press and the like about dog deaths and side effects from Frontline and other spot one. There are several pending lawsuits against the company that makes frontline which is Meril not Merck .
Old 06-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
There are blogs and posts from pet owners plus several news article from associated press and the like about dog deaths and side effects from Frontline and other spot one. There are several pending lawsuits against the company that makes frontline which is Meril not Merck .

Ok. I will keep looking. So far I have found bad skin reactions and seizures. But no bleeding out.

Again, sorry for your friends loss. I would be devastated.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

You have to be careful on dosage and timing with these tick and flea treatments.

I was trying K9Advantix from Bayer which I didn't like to well as it required multiple treatment locations along the back instead of just one area between the shoulder blades like with Frontline. Anyways, I decided to switch back to Frontline but my vet talked me into trying Nexgard which is put out by Frontline. Nexgard is a chewable. So, I waited to the end of the required time for dosage and gave him (Cruz) the first dose of Nexgard. He almost immediately had a reaction. Though not serious, still a reaction. The Nexgard did not mix well with Advantix and caused a lot of itching and scratching.

I know this probably is not the case with the OP. But one has to be careful when using these treatments. I have never heard of a dog losing his life because of a Frontline treatment. But who knows. Not saying it couldn't be. But maybe there is other things at play here too. Maybe wrong dosage from Manufacturer, dog got into something that didn't mix well with the Frontline. Could be a lot of things.

Has there been a study on this?
jafo220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Since two dogs were affected in the same way by the same frontline , I am thinking it is probably in the frontline itself. That and the fact the company offered to pay the vet bills no questions asked is suspicious in itself.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

wonder what it is about this lot of frontline. I assume they had received frontline previously. I'm planing on going to Nexgard after I run out of frontline. But I have heard alot of negatives on Nexgard. Really, there are too many negatives on all these products. I have been looking for a while, the standards for animal meds are not the same as human meds. As a result, you see many more side effects than you should.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.