Vaccines, HW - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Vaccines, HW

I have an appt Saturday for rabies. Trying to decide what to do about HW and distemper and parvo.

I know that even if I decide to give them they should be given separate, just trying to decide what to do.

I was going to test for HW and then give meds for the summer and then do that next summer, test in March or May and start the meds until September.

Any comments?

What about distemper and parvo boosters? I was going to titer. Courtney said I should give a booster for distemper and then titer next year.

Comments on this?

Also, what about parvo?

Anything else?
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Per Dr. Dodds booster the first year, then titer. Distemper and parvo.
I usually give separate from rabies...I really don't have an issue with DHPP if the vet does not have the individual vaccines.

HW no advice there. I live in a year-round area; I give ivomec because it is the only way I can avoid the flea and tick and worm medicines......I use garlic for the fleas and ticks and always come up negative on the worm screens.

I do an annual blood panel, tick panel, and HW test.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Vaccines, HW

So distemper and parvo can be given together? She says to space it a month from rabies and I will. But distemper and parvo together is fine?
Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would have preferred parvo and distemper separate but cannot get it. He gets the DHPP (distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and parainfluenza). I did space this out from the rabies.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also wanted to put a disclaimer out there - this is only what *I* choose to do for my dog. Always consult with your vet
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As Nancy says - Dr Dodds protocal....boost the puppy shots a year later...then titer and 3 years for Rabies... (as in the other thread with the subject line nothing to do with the tangential discussion!)

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It can be very hard to get the separate distemper and parvo; your best bed is a holistic vet.

It does not come in individual vials but in a "community" vial good for multiple injections. Personally I would rather give the DHPP knowing that it has only been punctured one time by a needle...that is not a problematic vaccine AFAIK.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think there is too much paranoia about all this. I've had dogs for over fifty yrs. and up until about ten years ago vaccinated them faithfully every year when the mobile clinics came by. Now I do the three yr. vaccines.

I'm old enough to remember puppies dying of distemper and parvo in large numbers when I was a boy. We lost 2 puppies to distemper in less than a yr.
Out of all those dogs and all those shots I never had a significant reaction even doing all of them yearly and rabies at the same time as other shots.

There will always be people and animals that will have horrible or even deadly reactions to medicines, vaccines, herbs, plants etc... but the number of animals that used to die from the diseases that they are now protected from was far greater than the occasional awful stories that we hear.

I prefer minimal vaccines but I refuse to be paranoid about every possible thing that can happen to our dogs.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
It can be very hard to get the separate distemper and parvo; your best bed is a holistic vet.

It does not come in individual vials but in a "community" vial good for multiple injections. Personally I would rather give the DHPP knowing that it has only been punctured one time by a needle...that is not a problematic vaccine AFAIK.

It is supposedly holistic. Will ask
Old 06-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did your dog have a reaction the first time you gave the vaccines?
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.