German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Vaccines, HW (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/464473-vaccines-hw.html)

lalachka 06-26-2014 03:20 PM

Vaccines, HW

I have an appt Saturday for rabies. Trying to decide what to do about HW and distemper and parvo.

I know that even if I decide to give them they should be given separate, just trying to decide what to do.

I was going to test for HW and then give meds for the summer and then do that next summer, test in March or May and start the meds until September.

Any comments?

What about distemper and parvo boosters? I was going to titer. Courtney said I should give a booster for distemper and then titer next year.

Comments on this?

Also, what about parvo?

Anything else?

jocoyn 06-26-2014 03:41 PM

Per Dr. Dodds booster the first year, then titer. Distemper and parvo.
I usually give separate from rabies...I really don't have an issue with DHPP if the vet does not have the individual vaccines.

HW no advice there. I live in a year-round area; I give ivomec because it is the only way I can avoid the flea and tick and worm medicines......I use garlic for the fleas and ticks and always come up negative on the worm screens.

I do an annual blood panel, tick panel, and HW test.

lalachka 06-26-2014 03:47 PM

Vaccines, HW

So distemper and parvo can be given together? She says to space it a month from rabies and I will. But distemper and parvo together is fine?

Courtney 06-26-2014 03:51 PM

I would have preferred parvo and distemper separate but cannot get it. He gets the DHPP (distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and parainfluenza). I did space this out from the rabies.

Courtney 06-26-2014 03:55 PM

Also wanted to put a disclaimer out there - this is only what *I* choose to do for my dog. Always consult with your vet:)

wolfstraum 06-26-2014 03:57 PM

As Nancy says - Dr Dodds protocal....boost the puppy shots a year later...then titer and 3 years for Rabies... (as in the other thread with the subject line nothing to do with the tangential discussion!)

Lee

jocoyn 06-26-2014 04:09 PM

It can be very hard to get the separate distemper and parvo; your best bed is a holistic vet.

It does not come in individual vials but in a "community" vial good for multiple injections. Personally I would rather give the DHPP knowing that it has only been punctured one time by a needle...that is not a problematic vaccine AFAIK.

Jack's Dad 06-26-2014 04:13 PM

I think there is too much paranoia about all this. I've had dogs for over fifty yrs. and up until about ten years ago vaccinated them faithfully every year when the mobile clinics came by. Now I do the three yr. vaccines.

I'm old enough to remember puppies dying of distemper and parvo in large numbers when I was a boy. We lost 2 puppies to distemper in less than a yr.
Out of all those dogs and all those shots I never had a significant reaction even doing all of them yearly and rabies at the same time as other shots.

There will always be people and animals that will have horrible or even deadly reactions to medicines, vaccines, herbs, plants etc... but the number of animals that used to die from the diseases that they are now protected from was far greater than the occasional awful stories that we hear.

I prefer minimal vaccines but I refuse to be paranoid about every possible thing that can happen to our dogs.

lalachka 06-26-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5695065)
It can be very hard to get the separate distemper and parvo; your best bed is a holistic vet.

It does not come in individual vials but in a "community" vial good for multiple injections. Personally I would rather give the DHPP knowing that it has only been punctured one time by a needle...that is not a problematic vaccine AFAIK.

It is supposedly holistic. Will ask

martemchik 06-26-2014 04:59 PM

Did your dog have a reaction the first time you gave the vaccines?