German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Suggestions for fleas. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/458066-suggestions-fleas.html)

critterlady 06-07-2014 08:58 AM

Suggestions for fleas.

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes, Zeus is 5 1/2 months old, I have been treating him with Frontline Plus since about 8 wks old, I have been buying single doses from the vet because his weight changes so much, I recently noticed him scratching a lot and checked him, he has fleas! His next does of Frontline is due on Wednesday, but before I buy it I want to ask everyone's opinion on treatments that have been successful for them, I want to get this under control before it gets out of hand. I use K9 Advantix 2 on my chihuahua and had success with it in the past, but I noticed a couple fleas on him today. Someone recommended Sentinel to me, never used it before, but I'm willing to try anything. I treat my dogs for fleas every month and never miss a dose, but it seems like the stuff isn't working anymore, suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Skywalkers Mom 06-07-2014 09:22 AM

Fleas can live and breed in entire home. Wash both dogs with flea soap. remove bedding and discard. Bug bomb your home.

jjk454ss 06-07-2014 09:35 AM

I keep hearing everywhere that Frontline doesn't work anymore.

llombardo 06-07-2014 09:55 AM

I'm hearing good stuff about Nexgard

mego 06-07-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjk454ss (Post 5613554)
I keep hearing everywhere that Frontline doesn't work anymore.

Me too. our vet even stopped selling it because of all the failure reports

1sttimeforgsd 06-07-2014 05:57 PM

I never could get good results from Frontline myself, have been using K9 Advantix II for several years and it has worked on my 3 so far.:)

Magwart 06-07-2014 07:35 PM

I've heard good things about the effectiveness of Comfortis. I'm still having good luck with Advantage II. Friends are having great results with Vectra 3D (from the vet, also gets ticks).

We also use Wondercide on the yard.

griffinflames 06-07-2014 07:39 PM

Perhaps you can give Sentinel a shot as an add-on (plus it'll act as a heart worm preventative to boot), because it doesn't do anything for adult fleas but will eliminate flea eggs so they don't propagate. I had my dog on it for a while with no problems. As one of the earlier poster pointed out, you're going to have to treat your whole house to get rid of the resident fleas.

I think Frontline PLUS has always worked well for me in terms flea and tick prevention, as I have removed many dead/paralyzed ticks from my dog in the summer months and never saw any fleas on her, but I keep hearing there is huge regional variation to its effectiveness. Perhaps your local vet would have more suggestions as he/she would be more familiar with the area?

Nikitta 06-07-2014 07:46 PM

Frontline plus has always worked well for me.

canyadoit 06-08-2014 08:51 AM

Red ceder chips in bedding