German Shepherds Forum banner

Suggestions for fleas.

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  MaggieRoseLee 
#1 ·
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes, Zeus is 5 1/2 months old, I have been treating him with Frontline Plus since about 8 wks old, I have been buying single doses from the vet because his weight changes so much, I recently noticed him scratching a lot and checked him, he has fleas! His next does of Frontline is due on Wednesday, but before I buy it I want to ask everyone's opinion on treatments that have been successful for them, I want to get this under control before it gets out of hand. I use K9 Advantix 2 on my chihuahua and had success with it in the past, but I noticed a couple fleas on him today. Someone recommended Sentinel to me, never used it before, but I'm willing to try anything. I treat my dogs for fleas every month and never miss a dose, but it seems like the stuff isn't working anymore, suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
I never could get good results from Frontline myself, have been using K9 Advantix II for several years and it has worked on my 3 so far.:)

#8 ·
Perhaps you can give Sentinel a shot as an add-on (plus it'll act as a heart worm preventative to boot), because it doesn't do anything for adult fleas but will eliminate flea eggs so they don't propagate. I had my dog on it for a while with no problems. As one of the earlier poster pointed out, you're going to have to treat your whole house to get rid of the resident fleas.

I think Frontline PLUS has always worked well for me in terms flea and tick prevention, as I have removed many dead/paralyzed ticks from my dog in the summer months and never saw any fleas on her, but I keep hearing there is huge regional variation to its effectiveness. Perhaps your local vet would have more suggestions as he/she would be more familiar with the area?

#11 ·
Make sure you wash all the pets in the house (btw, heard the original Dawn dishsoap works well How to Kill Fleas With Dawn Dishsoap: 11 Steps (with Pictures) ) and the house (I use those flea bombs, you can get good price on multiple cans at Home Depot/Loews) AND the yard if the dogs live mostly in the yard).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.