German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Important question about rabies vaccine for 1 year old dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/456698-important-question-about-rabies-vaccine-1-year-old-dog.html)

mcast051 06-03-2014 01:15 PM

Important question about rabies vaccine for 1 year old dog

Hello. I live in Miami, FL where the rabies vaccine is mandatory. I was able to eschew it last year when I took my dog for her set of shots as a puppy. However now she is a 1 year old and everywhere I go they need to give her it. However I have read horrid things about the side effects and I am scared. Can you please give me your insights on your experience?

lalachka 06-03-2014 01:44 PM

I'm also stalling on the vaccine. He's 17 months and I did give it when he was 4 months along with a a bunch of other shots when I didn't know better.

My state is also rabies mandatory. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for, just scared to give it. Interested to see the replies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jax08 06-03-2014 01:46 PM

Rabies vaccine is mandatory everywhere. Yes, the vaccine has side effects. The disease has ONE side effect....Death.

gsdsar 06-03-2014 01:48 PM

Get the shot.

martemchik 06-03-2014 01:48 PM

Some states will allow you to do a titer for it and allow the vet to sign off on the fact that the dog is immune...unfortunately, you'll probably need at least ONE vaccine in the dog's life in order to have the immunity level high enough that the vet can do that.

jocoyn 06-03-2014 01:51 PM

It is mandatory and a horrid disease. You minimize risk when you give it separate from other vaccines and there are homeopathic things you can give if you are that concerned. The 2nd vaccine needs to be given 1 year after the first, then every 3 years. You can request a thimersoal free version of the vaccine if the vet will give it.

I have not had a bad experience with a rabies vaccine in about 30 years of owning dogs. I tend to go on the low end of things for vaccines (like titers for distemper and parvo going forward) but rabies is not negotiable.

wolfstraum 06-03-2014 01:55 PM

GIVE THE SHOT!!!! If you do not, and your dog bites someone - even a nip....they will put the dog down immediately so that they can test for the disease....they MUST use brain tissue for this test...GET THE SHOT!!! You will get a huge fine and lose your dog....this is one vaccine NOT to fool around avoiding.

Lee

Shade 06-03-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5596434)
Rabies vaccine is mandatory everywhere. Yes, the vaccine has side effects. The disease has ONE side effect....Death.

:thumbup:

I refuse to screw around with such a horrid disease and my dogs have never reacted to the shot.

As Nancy said, I do puppy shots plus one booster at one year and then titers for the others but I don't hesitate to do rabies every 3 years and I wouldn't hesitate on even a booster if they ever came in contact (heaven forbid) with a infected animal. It's not just the animal you're protecting but the humans including yourself as well.

You can deal the side effects of the vaccines, you CANNOT expect the same from the actual disease

Springbrz 06-03-2014 02:03 PM

My girl just got her first "3 year" rabies shot today. Almost weekly, here in coastal VA, we hear of an animal testing positive for rabies. I don't want to put my dog at risk. Rabies is always fatal. Please don't risk it. GOT THE SHOT...please!

lalachka 06-03-2014 02:09 PM

Important question about rabies vaccine for 1 year old dog

OK. I don't know about the op but I will give the rabies.

So I'm a few months late (I got the vaccine in April of last year), does that matter?

What's a killed vaccine (I think dr Dodds suggests it)?
Besides giving it separate, anything else to minimize the risks?
Jocoyne said to ask for a vaccine without thimersoal. What's that? Anything else vaccine should be free of?

Anything else at all?