Important question about rabies vaccine for 1 year old dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Per Dr. Dodds: The rabies vaccine should be thimerosal (mercury) – free – i.e. Merial IMRAB TF.
The 2 homeopathic's to give for a Rabies shot to minimize reaction is called Lyssin & Thuja.
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What's a killed vaccine? I thought her or someone else mentioned that

And thank you for this.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
What's a killed vaccine? I thought her or someone else mentioned that

And thank you for this.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Vaccines: When too Much of a Good Thing Turns Bad (Part 2)
Old 06-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Killed vaccine means that the virus in the sample is dead. It should not be able to convert into the actual disease and cause active disease. Modified live vaccines are the virus with a slight modification that leaves them inert, but the body will fight it. The killed vaccines require an adjuvant in order to make the body react, such as aluminum or egg protein.

Merial makes the safest vaccines, IMO. They have a line of recombinant vaccines that are extremely safe. Honestly since I started working in clinics, the amount of vaccine reactions has gone down dramatically. The companies have learned and gotten better products.

I wouldn't mess with rabies either. The disease is basically 100% fatal, contagious to us, and because of it's extreme mortality, required by law. Titer testing can get you around it, however I wouldn't hesitate to boost after a year them test. Just to be safe. Dealing with rabies suspect animals or if your pet bites someone, it's a way bigger hassle if they are up to date versus if they aren't. You get luckier when they are up to date.

Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lol kind of. Medicine and nutrition is not my thing. I'm not interested enough in it to make myself understand it.

I've read this before, understood a quarter)))))
I'll just ask for the rabies 3 year killed vaccine without the thimersoal. I don't have to understand it))))

Old 06-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colie CVT View Post
Killed vaccine means that the virus in the sample is dead. It should not be able to convert into the actual disease and cause active disease. Modified live vaccines are the virus with a slight modification that leaves them inert, but the body will fight it. The killed vaccines require an adjuvant in order to make the body react, such as aluminum or egg protein.

Merial makes the safest vaccines, IMO. They have a line of recombinant vaccines that are extremely safe. Honestly since I started working in clinics, the amount of vaccine reactions has gone down dramatically. The companies have learned and gotten better products.

I wouldn't mess with rabies either. The disease is basically 100% fatal, contagious to us, and because of it's extreme mortality, required by law. Titer testing can get you around it, however I wouldn't hesitate to boost after a year them test. Just to be safe. Dealing with rabies suspect animals or if your pet bites someone, it's a way bigger hassle if they are up to date versus if they aren't. You get luckier when they are up to date.

This makes more sense. So what makes pets react to the vaccine? The fact that it's live or the additives?
And what does thimersoal do?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

"Dr. Dodds advocates the use of thimerosol (mercury) free rabies vaccines. Mercury added to killed, inactivated vaccines given to people and animals create an increased risk of adverse immune-mediated disease reactions. Recent published studies from Dr. Yehuda Shoenfeld’s laboratory at Tel-Aviv University in Israel have documented this situation."
Interesting read!
http://www.ima.org.il/FilesUpload/IMAJ/0/67/33611.pdf
Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
"Dr. Dodds advocates the use of thimerosol (mercury) free rabies vaccines. Mercury added to killed, inactivated vaccines given to people and animals create an increased risk of adverse immune-mediated disease reactions. Recent published studies from Dr. Yehuda Shoenfeld’s laboratory at Tel-Aviv University in Israel have documented this situation."
Interesting read!
http://www.ima.org.il/FilesUpload/IMAJ/0/67/33611.pdf

Lol I'm not being rude, I do open the links and I do try to read them but it doesn't stick. I need the dumbed down versions.

I learned programming, some plumbing, some carpentry and a few other things on my own. But I'm interested enough to spend the time and dig and read. Medicine, nutrition, health are not my things. So I ask people to explain them

I know I can google it and I have and I usually don't understand what I'm reading.

But if it's mercury giving the reaction then why bother with the killed vaccines? Or there's a chance of the animal not developing immunity and getting the disease?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post

But if it's mercury giving the reaction then why bother with the killed vaccines? Or there's a chance of the animal not developing immunity and getting the disease?

Because rabies is 100% fatal. So they give the killed vaccine to induce the immune response. If they used a modified live vaccine then they would be giving your animal the actual virus to induce the immune response...and THAT would be 100% fatal.

Mercury is a heavy metal with very bad effects when put into our bodies. It's why you don't see mercury thermometers anymore.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Because rabies is 100% fatal. So they give the killed vaccine to induce the immune response. If they used a modified live vaccine then they would be giving your animal the actual virus to induce the immune response...and THAT would be 100% fatal.

Mercury is a heavy metal with very bad effects when put into our bodies. It's why you don't see mercury thermometers anymore.

Now I'm lost. Why then do I have to ASK for a killed vaccine if the live vaccine would kill my dog?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.