German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Low cost vet (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/451834-low-cost-vet.html)

ZoeD1217 05-19-2014 12:43 PM

Low cost vet

Would you take your dog to the low cost vet that offers the special spay and neuter prices if it was much cheaper than your regular vet?

I feel like even considering it makes me a bad person... however I also think spending $800 more for the same procedure makes me a stupid person...I'm torn.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

wyoung2153 05-19-2014 02:12 PM

I think if you do your research and talk to others who may have gone to the vet and decide it's a decent place, that doesn't make you a bad person. We have 2 clinics here that are cheaper than others, and at least here, they are pretty decent. I, however, am rather attached to my vet so I stick with her.

ZoeD1217 05-19-2014 04:16 PM

Thank you! I will definitely look into my options.

I feel like my wording came off incredibly rude rereading it. I definitely don't mean that anyone who goes the low cost route is bad or anyone that pays more is stupid. I'm just having a hard time deciding what is best for us.

wyoung2153 05-19-2014 05:19 PM

Oh I get it. Often times, lower prices have a stigma of meaning the product isn't of good value and that's just not true 100% of the time. Sometimes, yes, but often times, if you do your research you can find great things with lower prices. I do think $800 is pretty steep. I was going to pay $350 for my 80lb female to get spayed.. though it may also depend on the area you live too. Gotta love the economy :D

gsdsar 05-19-2014 05:31 PM

Also, there may be things included in the higher cost that are not in the low cost program, the blood work, catheter, pain meds.

Low cost does not always mean low quality. You just may not get the extras.

800$ is stupid expensive, I don't care where you live.

ZoeD1217 05-19-2014 05:42 PM

Well I'm glad I'm not crazy. I figured about $400 give or take and I put away a little extra for getting her stomach tacked and xrays...So I about died when she said it would be $848 to be exact. Just for the spay and whatever goes along with that. I assume there is blood work and stuff figured into that price.
I love my girl and of course I'm not going to drop her in the chop shop to save a buck...but I definitely think I'll be shopping around for something less expensive.

llombardo 05-19-2014 05:45 PM

I have done this in the past with no problems. My female GSD was $65.00 and my male golden was $85.00 and they both had blood work. The only time I go to my actual vet is for illnesses. Shots, heartworm, etc are all done at low cost places.

Chip18 05-19-2014 05:54 PM

$800 sounds insane to me, I had my Boxer fixed and told they "NO" Acepromazine!!! It's a Boxer thing it will/can kill them on the operating table! She cost $480.

Don't understand how you can get to $800 myself??? Get a second opinion. :)

Lilie 05-19-2014 06:28 PM

I have a good friend whose husband was a vet for many, many years. After years of being on call and late nights, he decided he'd sell his clinic and open an little spay and nueter shop. That was all he did. He was very good. He was 1/2 the price of normal clinics. He simply didn't have the over head.

Chip18 05-19-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5538250)
I have a good friend whose husband was a vet for many, many years. After years of being on call and late nights, he decided he'd sell his clinic and open an little spay and nueter shop. That was all he did. He was very good. He was 1/2 the price of normal clinics. He simply didn't have the over head.

Boxers??