German Shepherds Forum banner

Is chipping my dog extremely important?

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  martemchik 
#1 ·
is it a must? Right now my pup only has a tattoo identification..

#2 ·
No it's not a must but it's very helpful. Chips can be read by most readers which AC, vets, and shelters have on hand. It also carries all of your information on it, collars and tags can be lost but a chip will stay with the dog for it's life.

The only downsides to chips is always making sure your information is updated at all times. But that's usually just a quick email to the company which takes maybe 30 seconds, nothing big

#3 ·
Really, you need to ask yourself what the tattoo will does in the event the dog charges off and gets away? The tattoo is the breeder's indicator. The chip is the size of a grain of rice, costs the same as a steak dinner for two and is best given when the dog is already out, meaning during another procedure. Are you going to neuter Hunter? Is he going to be titled and/or a stud dog? For $40 the answer is yes, but there is no guarantee's. Someone who steals the dog, won't check for chips. We know you love him and you know the answers...:smirk:

:wub: Hunter "good boy." :wub:

#9 ·
Really, you need to ask yourself what the tattoo will does in the event the dog charges off and gets away? The tattoo is the breeder's indicator. The chip is the size of a grain of rice, costs the same as a steak dinner for two and is best given when the dog is already out, meaning during another procedure. Are you going to neuter Hunter? Is he going to be titled and/or a stud dog? For $40 the answer is yes, but there is no guarantee's. Someone who steals the dog, won't check for chips. We know you love him and you know the answers...:smirk:

:wub: Hunter "good boy." :wub:

Aw, he's already neuterd.. but ill now be looking into getting a chip:) thank you

#4 ·
I would chip the dog...there is no 'tattoo registry' that will ensure your dog being returned to you like a chip can.
I have chips in all my dogs, and the one I do sport with has a tattoo for competition identification.

#5 ·
I chip, tattoo AND have so many dangling tags with id on each dog they sound like they are wearing bells as they run around.

If you ever lose your dog, the more types of ID the BETTER!

:)

#8 ·
I would say it is important because it holds all the information that would be on a tag, but you can't remove it. I was unsure with Titan at first, "do I really need it.. blah blah blah" But with it only being around $40 for the one I have, and it's a lifetime deal.. it seemed like the best idea, especially because Titan doesn't always have a collar on.

I'm not sure what others are talking about with a procedure, but Titan's was just like a shot, he sat there and they injected it into his shoulder, massaged it for a minute and all was well.

The hardest thing to remember is updating information.. I have read many many success stories with dogs being lost and/or stolen and taken to a local vet or shelter and finding out exactly who to contact. It is really a great idea. And nowadays with the way the world is going, I wouldn't put it past people to want to steal my dog or not return him if he happened to get loose.

#16 ·
I'm another one who chips, tattoos, and put tags on my dogs (and most of my cats, too). As an FYI, a dog (or cat) does NOT need to be "out" to be chipped. I usually have them chipped and tattooed when I have them altered, but I've also just has them chipped when they got their shots. My dogs are tattooed on their inner thigh, by the way, not their ears.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#21 ·
A tattoo is really more to be able to tell your dog apart from others more than a "return to owner" thing. They're cool but its all historic rather than useful. Sure...if your dog runs away, and you go to the pound, and there are 7 other shepherds there, you'd be able to say that the one with the tattoo is yours...but if you show up to the pound to pick up your dog, I'd hope that you'd be able to tell which one is yours without a tattoo.

I wouldn't tell a breeder not to do it if they're into doing them, but I wouldn't go out and get one done (neither of my dogs have a tattoo). But I'd for sure microchip because that has contact information on it so if anything does happen, any vet or animal rescue/pound can find the owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.