Do any of you use a groomer for your GSD? MOVED TO BASIC CARE - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do any of you use a groomer for your GSD? MOVED TO BASIC CARE

I know GSD's don't need "grooming" like some other breeds but does anyone here take their GSD to a professional groomer? I am just thinking that if I could get Abby used to going to a few times a year for a bath it would be easier on me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

the ladies at the vet do Tigers nails. cost about $15 I think. haven't given him a shower yet but one of the trainers at Petco said you can use their basins for $10 and give your dog a bath yourself. it has the leash attachments to stop them wiggling. but I may take him to groomers one day, a girl I know takes her pug and he loves his oatmeal baths, not so much the nail trim
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I took Robyn once, but it was to make things easier for me. We were moving and I took 3 of the dogs in, by the time they were done we were moved. Her anal glands have never been the same since Now they get oatmeal/tea leaf baths at home and I have a high force dryer for them.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No, I'd be afraid to leave her with a groomer especially since she hate baths to begin with. It helps her maintain that je ne sais quoi doggie odeur
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We take Heidi to a groomer. Actually to Freestep from this forum. Heidi can be a pain in the butt sometimes but Freestep has the magic touch. It's so much easier for us and she always comes back looking and smelling amazing! We were just talking tonight about making an appointment for the puppy too. Get her used to it. I definitely think it's well worth it. Then again, we are spoiled with our groomer
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't really take mine to a groomer, but I do frequent the "bathe your own dog" type places when he needs a bath. I can pay $10 to bathe him in a raised tub with nice power showers, extra product and brushes if I need them, and an industrial strength blow dryer, and then someone else scrubs out the tub. It's always been worth it for me.
sechattin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
DWP

Default Yep

Both our girls go to the groomer every month. They seem to enjoy it, our groomer is great and Kana grows so much fur between her pads it's creepy. Kana is a coatie as well and she trims her a little. We started using the grromer because we both worked, were in a new home and the mess was crazy after baths. Now we are just lazy I guess as my lovely bride is retired and has the time, I work and don't like doing it.

Philip Perkins
DWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, with ours tho they were fresh from the pound so it was necessary, other then that they get tossed off the boat and scrubbed down, or tied to the van and hosed down. Although, if I had tons of cash for all 3 I would get them done a couple times a year I do use the furminator alot though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

What--and miss out on that je ne sais quoi odeur de chien that Gretchen mentioned??? Especially the custom scent, "Odeur de chien avec MUD" that manifests itself while you're hosing them down after their morning run...
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

We take her to a groomer to trim her nails because she's something of a drama queen.

We do the $10 do it yourself bath thing at the local pet store. Keeps the mess out of my place and no clean up, but it doesn't change how soaked I get every time!

Janet

My pack:
Revy (Zanka vom Blackgold Pen): Female GSD born March 2013
Sweetie: Female black cat, born 2004
Plus a husband and a couple of teenagers
Suburbandiva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.