German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Male is acting like female is in heat but she is spayed (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/433457-male-acting-like-female-heat-but-she-spayed.html)

Sarah~ 04-04-2014 03:25 AM

Male is acting like female is in heat but she is spayed
 
Eko has been driving us crazy! Nonstop whining when we tell him to leave Xena alone. He keeps trying to sniff and lick her under her tail, pretty much any time she stands up. I had to put a leash on him to correct him for constantly trying to hump her. I've been having to stand with them outside because if I just wait on the porch Eko follows Xena around and waits for her to pee so he can lick it (sorry for the tmi it's gross I know!!).

She's never had a heat before, she was spayed at 6 months. Could it be another dog in our neighborhood in heat making him act like this? He has never done any of these things before, he only just started to lift his leg a couple of weeks ago. He is normally so well behaved, even when the neighbor's dog was in heat before. That dog could be in heat again but he never seemed to notice the other times. He just turned 2 in February, he is not neutered, I'm not really wanting him to be neutered unless it's absolutely necessary.

my boy diesel 04-04-2014 03:44 AM

well get used to this behavior then is all I can say :-/

Sarah~ 04-04-2014 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5321505)
well get used to this behavior then is all I can say :-/

Why is that?

my boy diesel 04-04-2014 03:55 AM

because he's a boy....? it is hormones.

Sarah~ 04-04-2014 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5321529)
because he's a boy....? it is hormones.

Oh okay I see what you mean. :) My question was more about why he'd be so interested in her even though she doesn't go through heat. I mean I would think after the first sniff or two he would realize it wasn't her?

BorderKelpie 04-04-2014 04:12 AM

The last time my dogs acted like that, my girl had a UTI. I don't know if the boys smell the blood in her urine or what it is, but you may want to catch a sample of her urine and have a vet check it for you.

Sarah~ 04-04-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorderKelpie (Post 5321553)
The last time my dogs acted like that, my girl had a UTI. I don't know if the boys smell the blood in her urine or what it is, but you may want to catch a sample of her urine and have a vet check it for you.

Hmm... She was treated for a light UTI in November, it's possible she could have another. She is incontinent, could that put her at risk for frequent UTIs?

BorderKelpie 04-04-2014 04:54 AM

If she has recently had a UTI and has urinary issues already, then I would venture to guess that she will be prone to them.
I have had really good luck with Bladder Control tablets with my incontinent spayed females. I would have her checked again.

I also put all my spayed girls on these tablets, just in case. The tablets have also helped with UTIs on my little crippled girl. Seems to help relieve some of the urgency.
Nutri-Vet Bladder Control, Chewable | drugstore.com

Sarah~ 04-04-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorderKelpie (Post 5321585)
If she has recently had a UTI and has urinary issues already, then I would venture to guess that she will be prone to them.
I have had really good luck with Bladder Control tablets with my incontinent spayed females. I would have her checked again.

I also put all my spayed girls on these tablets, just in case. The tablets have also helped with UTIs on my little crippled girl. Seems to help relieve some of the urgency.
Nutri-Vet Bladder Control, Chewable | drugstore.com

Thank you for the links :) I will be at the vet's today and I will ask her if those would be okay to try with Xena's epilepsy medication. And yeah, she has had bladder issues from birth, she has weak muscles and has trouble holding her bladder.

my boy diesel 04-04-2014 11:34 AM

male dogs still know its not a boy so it must be something to breed with
this behavior is not uncommon


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2