German Shepherds Forum banner

Male is acting like female is in heat but she is spayed

14K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Sarah~ 
#1 ·
Eko has been driving us crazy! Nonstop whining when we tell him to leave Xena alone. He keeps trying to sniff and lick her under her tail, pretty much any time she stands up. I had to put a leash on him to correct him for constantly trying to hump her. I've been having to stand with them outside because if I just wait on the porch Eko follows Xena around and waits for her to pee so he can lick it (sorry for the tmi it's gross I know!!).

She's never had a heat before, she was spayed at 6 months. Could it be another dog in our neighborhood in heat making him act like this? He has never done any of these things before, he only just started to lift his leg a couple of weeks ago. He is normally so well behaved, even when the neighbor's dog was in heat before. That dog could be in heat again but he never seemed to notice the other times. He just turned 2 in February, he is not neutered, I'm not really wanting him to be neutered unless it's absolutely necessary.

#5 ·
Oh okay I see what you mean. :) My question was more about why he'd be so interested in her even though she doesn't go through heat. I mean I would think after the first sniff or two he would realize it wasn't her?

#7 ·
Hmm... She was treated for a light UTI in November, it's possible she could have another. She is incontinent, could that put her at risk for frequent UTIs?

#8 ·
If she has recently had a UTI and has urinary issues already, then I would venture to guess that she will be prone to them.
I have had really good luck with Bladder Control tablets with my incontinent spayed females. I would have her checked again.

I also put all my spayed girls on these tablets, just in case. The tablets have also helped with UTIs on my little crippled girl. Seems to help relieve some of the urgency.
Nutri-Vet Bladder Control, Chewable | drugstore.com

#9 ·
Thank you for the links :) I will be at the vet's today and I will ask her if those would be okay to try with Xena's epilepsy medication. And yeah, she has had bladder issues from birth, she has weak muscles and has trouble holding her bladder.

#11 ·
I agree with checking for a UTI. If she comes back clean, then make it clear to your male that humping is NOT acceptable.

#12 ·
Yeah, I would check for a medical problem, and if that comes back negative, I would be upping the training. It's NOT something "you get used to" - I absolutely do not and never have allowed that sort of behavior in my intact or altered boys.

#14 ·
I agree with this. If your female is ok then this is JUST a training issue with your male. And I have to tell you if you allow it with another female there may be a huge fight when this new bitch isn't so patient.

If you need to take him back to dog classes so you are again respected and listened to... then just sign up for some more classes and regain your leadership role in his eyes.

:)

#13 ·
Our male lab is after the girls (both spayed) approximately every six months for about a week, then it's over. Not at the same time either. I believe that even though spayed, they must still put out an odor when they would have been in heat. It's the only thing I can figure out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.