German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Anyone heard of NexGard? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/425602-anyone-heard-nexgard.html)

Ygor2012 03-17-2014 11:41 AM

Anyone heard of NexGard?

Its a new oral tick repellent.

I really dislike the liquid stuff but live in a heavy tick area so
we hate to take a chance.
Nexgard

LaRen616 03-17-2014 11:45 AM

I just started using NexGard for my GSD.

Stosh 03-18-2014 09:25 PM

A friend gave her dog a dose of it for the first time last weekend- vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and a trip to the ER.

llombardo 03-18-2014 09:38 PM

I will be giving it 4 months out of the tick season. I have already put the Scalibor collars on them. I will also be using a homemade repellant. I better not see one tick after all this:)

Springbrz 03-18-2014 10:20 PM

For those of you using it...does it repel ticks? kill them after they bite? or both. I couldn't find anything about how it works for ticks on the website. Other than it saying it kills American dog ticks.
I am interested in the product. But, I would like to know about it first.

llombardo 03-18-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springbrz (Post 5226794)
For those of you using it...does it repel ticks? kill them after they bite? or both. I couldn't find anything about how it works for ticks on the website. Other than it saying it kills American dog ticks.
I am interested in the product. But, I would like to know about it first.

It kills on the bite, but it's suppose to kill before the time frame any diseases can pass. I chose to go with the collar to, because that is suppose to repel them before the bite. I think almost everything out there works on the bite.

Springbrz 03-18-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5226818)
It kills on the bite, but it's suppose to kill before the time frame any diseases can pass. I chose to go with the collar to, because that is suppose to repel them before the bite. I think almost everything out there works on the bite.

Thanks for the information.

Do you know if it effective on other types of ticks? ie: lone star, brown dog or deer ticks. We have all of these where I live. The Nexgard website only specifically mentions the American dog tick.
One would think that if it kills one type of tick then it kills them all. But, I'm afraid to assume ;)

gsdsar 03-18-2014 10:48 PM

Nexgard is not approved on any other tick but Brown Dog. Currently the company is working on approval for other types of ticks. But it is not yet approved. So no guarantee.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Springbrz 03-18-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5227018)
Nexgard is not approved on any other tick but Brown Dog. Currently the company is working on approval for other types of ticks. But it is not yet approved. So no guarantee.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Thanks much! :)

llombardo 03-19-2014 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springbrz (Post 5226954)
Thanks for the information.

Do you know if it effective on other types of ticks? ie: lone star, brown dog or deer ticks. We have all of these where I live. The Nexgard website only specifically mentions the American dog tick.
One would think that if it kills one type of tick then it kills them all. But, I'm afraid to assume ;)

I asked the same thing and two different vets and a large pet supply company told me that the American Dog Tick would be the hardest to control/kill and since it covers them it will cover all ticks under them. It pretty much came down to it being about the wording on the label. I was comfortable with that because it came from three different sources. It's all made by the same people that make frontline, which I have never had problems with and I trust them as a company.