German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Honestly, how much excersise? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/423578-honestly-how-much-excersise.html)

gsdsar 03-12-2014 10:23 PM

Honestly, how much excersise?

Ok, so I keep reading on multiple threads, about exercising our dogs. And to be honest, some if the dogs are getting waaaaaay more excersise than I can give a dog.

My dogs have always been fine with 20-25 minutes of training daily or the same in pure cardio walking. I have had and trained multiple SAR dogs. They are working dogs, get worked a few times a week. But never have I lived with a dog that needs 4 hours of excersise a day. Like so many dogs on this forum seem to need to settle in the house.

Am I just super lucky??? Or is every one else super unlucky???

So be honest, how much actual excersise do your dogs get daily?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Eiros 03-12-2014 10:30 PM

Lol it just depends on the day but compared to our first pup, who had no off switch, warden is mellow! If needed, he can be just fine with a morning walk and a midday walk... About 1.5-2 hours a day. He naps or chews the rest of the time.

Often though, it's 3-4 hours of exercise, an hour of training, socializing etc. not always because he needs it, but because it's fun for us both.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BowWowMeow 03-12-2014 10:39 PM

2 hours of off-leash walking in deep snow and cold will knock 8 yo Rafi out for a couple of hours. :rolleyes:

jocoyn 03-12-2014 10:41 PM

Beau gets on average about 45 minutes a day of flat out run time broken down into multiple fetch sessions, and 2-4 miles a day walking with me.

Nigel 03-12-2014 10:43 PM

Mine don't get 4 hours, for us it varies through the winter months due to my increased work schedule. Some days they get 20 minutes of physical exercise, flirt pole, bicycle, or fetch, and others they may get closer to an hour divided up throughout the day. We go for walks 4-5 times a week, but they're not very long, maybe a mile or so, I hate neighborhood walks, too boring, so we mix in OB and we play tug along the way. Come spring will add in different length/difficulty hikes. We do take days off and all three dogs do fine with it.

Castlemaid 03-12-2014 10:43 PM

Honestly? About one to two hours a day, usually broken up into half-hour segments: walks, on or off leash, fetch sessions, informal training. Both are pretty adaptable to my schedule.

Sunflowers 03-12-2014 10:45 PM

Hans gets 20 minutes running on the treadmill, fetch and more fetch throughout the day, and he is penned only a maximum of 3 hours a day. The rest of the time he happily trots after whoever is moving around in the house.

Freddy 03-12-2014 10:53 PM

depends on the dog, but I've found mental exercise, tasks and commands within the house can be a great supplement to physical exercise. I've found my dogs want to interact with me. That can be commands to receive a toy, rolling around on the floor, tricks and tasks you've tough them etc.

SunCzarina 03-12-2014 10:56 PM

Today, not a lot because I feel like I'm coming down with something, couldn't even bend over to pick up the ball so we just played some JollyBall in the basement for about half hour both sessions. They wrestle some days more intensely than others, today they were off too, just a bit of head and foot chewing.

Most days though, it's no less than a 45 minute walk, a couple ball sessions, maybe some intense wrestling sessions.

shepherdmom 03-12-2014 10:56 PM

My Shepherds get 30 min in the morning and 30 min at night of outside play for sure. When its nice out we go outside several times throughout the day to play fetch. If its cold outside we will play in the house. :)