German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Wondering about these prices.. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/422505-wondering-about-these-prices.html)

BensLife 03-11-2014 01:14 AM

Wondering about these prices..

1 Attachment(s)
So I went to go look for vets before my puppy comes home in a week and i'm wondering about the prices for these what they call it "annual packages" for a puppy.

So one of the vet clinics I went to offer a package that includes:
http://gyazo.com/204800126350f66cd856e5e19a615b29.png
Price: Varies

I was wondering is that package an annual package for an "ADULT" dog? I assume that puppies require more series of vaccinations and tests than an adult dog.

Another vet clinic I went to have a package that includes:
http://gyazo.com/6eaf63b5721ae9196fc83cfbd1bc999b.png
Price: 302$

I'm assuming that it's more expensive for the first year of the puppies life. I'm just clarifying that these 2 "packages" are different. I'm not entirely sure.

If any of you guys can help me that would be great! Thanks

shepherdmom 03-11-2014 01:18 AM

Every area of the country is different. So what might be a good price there would be horribly expensive here. I personally never go with the package deals. They usually end up not being so much of a deal. Besides do you want to be locked into one vet clinic if they turn out to not be so great?

trcy 03-11-2014 01:41 AM

I went to a local vet for shots, but it was through there clinic. Which means they only give shots during a certain time so an office visit is not charged. I think most vets where I live have these clinics.

I'm leaning towards just getting the vaccines myself and doing the injection on my own this year. That way I only need to get the rabies shot done at the vet. Still thinking about it though.

Shaolin 03-11-2014 01:44 AM

I'm not sure what the packages are on the top; is the price stated per visit through the year or is that just one visit.

I love puppy packages as it came out almost 200$ cheaper to do it than do each individual visit, plus we got a visit for free, which was nice.

If you are looking at adult packages, I generally stay away from them. My vet has a "senior dog" package, but I don't need the routine deworming, vitamins, and what seems like their whole arsenal of vaccines because the normal yearly visit is 150$ less.

BensLife 03-11-2014 02:14 AM

I'm not sure about the first picture I posted, but I know for the 2nd one, I would pay 302$ for my puppy for basically the whole year. Basically the first year of it's life is covered by the "package".

middleofnowhere 03-11-2014 03:16 AM

The trouble with packages is they may include things you don't want - I don't get the bordatella on a puppy - Bordatella is only useful if given a few days (like a week or so) before boarding - and it's use is to keep the kennel people happy. (Generally a rather useless vac - it's like trying to vac a human for the cold...) One of the vets here offers a puppy package - that includes spay/neuter under 1 year! That's too early for that operation by far. And I don't buy all the vaccines. So no thanks. Besides if you buy the package and decide you don't like the vet, too bad, you are locked in or you loose your money. If this were a vet you already had, liked, agreed with the procedures/products offered, it would be different. Your just establishing a relationship. Question why all the vaccines, if they give vaccines individually and spaced out or if the only option is the gazzillion and one. DO they offer alternative practices? Maybe have a wholistic vet or accupuncture/chiro?
There's a lot to consider besides price.

BensLife 03-11-2014 03:41 AM

This is probably the only vet close to me that actually made me feel like I could establish a relationship with. I don't have to buy the puppy package, I just thought maybe it was a good choice. Maybe I should just get my puppy vaccinated when he needs to and just pay the amount then?

Galathiel 03-11-2014 11:22 AM

Find out what the individual vaccs you DO want cost at each clinic. Sometimes, it might be cheaper to get the package, and then opt to not have some of the things done. I don't get bordatella on my dogs either, but if the package is cheaper than paying 'a la carte', I would totally go that route and then tell the vet not to administer it.

I'm fortunate. My vet charges $50 flat rate for puppy exam, necessary shots, flea control and heartworm preventative (when old enough). I live in Texas and you can never be too early on HW preventative. Ugh.

Also, I would go with the vet that you have the best rapport with as well. You need to have confidence in his treatment.

SuperG 03-11-2014 11:27 AM

Bordatella....LOL.....that rates right up there with the "cold" vaccination for humans.

SuperG

Blanketback 03-11-2014 11:38 AM

I'd rather pay more money than be stuck in a plan that might not be what's best for my puppy. For example, I'd rather have more fecal exams done and then skip on the deworming if it isn't necessary. You're getting 4 of the puppy shots in the package, but do you need that many? Nail trims I do myself. I always stagger my shots too, so rabies wouldn't be done at the same time as the other one.