German Shepherds Forum banner

weird crack-like things on back of teeth?? (pic)

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  mego 
#1 · (Edited)
Lara was panting a lot and I noticed some weird lines on the back of her canine teeth. They are smooth to the touch, I just got really paranoid and have no idea what they are. I hope they aren't cracks :/. She's not even 15 months old yet, please tell me I am just being paranoid and this is normal :help: it's very hard to find pics of the insides of teeth online so I couldn't find anything

Here's a link to a pic http://i61.tinypic.com/25qvvyx.jpg (large) and I attached the smaller one here.

See less See more
#3 ·
I found this link ? Tooth Fracture, Broken dog tooth, Broken cat tooth, Chipped canine

"These are small lines or cracks on the surface of the enamel. They are relatively common in older dogs – especially when they have been working dogs or heavy chewers. Often these need no treatment and may not progress."

It would seem kind of weird if this was the case since she's not an older dog..

#4 ·
It looks like a growth chart!!

I wonder if your pup was chewing on something that scrapped her teeth. It is on all canines or just the one?

#13 ·
I think you could drive your self batty trying to figure it out. I'd let the vet check it out since you will be there.

If the electrical cord had copper or something in it, I'd guess maybe that could have happened. Or maybe it could have something to do with being on antibiotics and chewing raw bones. I'd be interested in what the vet says.

Hondo used to chew rocks as a youngster (big ones, not the kind you can swallow). His teeth don't show any signs of scrapes or scratches. But he was only on antibiotics once.

#14 ·
We had similar damage on one lower canine, just enamel, but rather than cracks it was flecks of enamel missing. Since we do bitework we elected to crown it

#18 ·
hey sorry didn't update this...
he said it seemed like normal wear from chewing and it shouldn't be anything to worry about. He said just keep an eye on it and make sure they don't start to feel like enamel is chipping off and if I felt paranoid about it I could always get them covered or capped but he didn't see that necessary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.