German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   To help avoid bloat............................ (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/420353-help-avoid-bloat.html)

Harry and Lola 03-06-2014 06:28 PM

To help avoid bloat............................

How long do you wait before and after exercise to feed your GSD?

I don't feed Lola and Harry for about 2 hours before and after exercise.

Have always done this and have never had a dog experience bloat.

ken k 03-06-2014 06:43 PM

at least an hour, but I wait 2, also water intake should be done the same way

Loneforce 03-06-2014 06:47 PM

Exactly what Ken k said. I still worry about bloat though. Even using every precaution it can happen, and that scares the heck out of me. :(

ZoeD1217 03-06-2014 07:13 PM

At what age does this become a possible issue? Zoe eats 3 times a day and is always running and jumping an zooming.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Twyla 03-06-2014 08:58 PM

Hour before and after - meals at 6 am and 7 pm.

With Woolf being a nervous dog (to say the least ;) ) we are pretty strict about keeping to this routine.

Harry and Lola 03-07-2014 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 (Post 5147881)
At what age does this become a possible issue? Zoe eats 3 times a day and is always running and jumping an zooming.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I would suggest right from puppies, if you are feeding 3 times a day, I would feed straight after waking up from a sleep and after toilet, crate or have puppy resting or not moving too much for at least 1 hour after eating.

It is good to teach them right from very young that they are to rest before and after eating.

Resting before and after eating for dogs susceptible to bloat such as GSDs will help not develop bloat for most, however some dogs will be prone to bloat regardless, unfortunately.

middleofnowhere 03-07-2014 12:47 AM

So far as has been documented -- It isn't an issue. Just one of the erroneous things like not swimming for an hour after you eat. Nothing to it. If I waited an hour or more before excercising my dogs they would either starve or never get any excercise...

Harry and Lola 03-07-2014 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 5149657)
So far as has been documented -- It isn't an issue. Just one of the erroneous things like not swimming for an hour after you eat. Nothing to it. If I waited an hour or more before excercising my dogs they would either starve or never get any excercise...

I've always gone by the thought that feeding immediately after excessive exercise or excitement, or exercise just after feeding can increase the chance of bloat and that dogs that are allowed to run after a meal are at a much higher risk of the stomach or spleen swinging around and twisting, thereby causing bloat.

Can you show me documentation otherwise?

Chip18 03-07-2014 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 5149721)
I've always gone by the thought that feeding immediately after excessive exercise or excitement, or exercise just after feeding can increase the chance of bloat and that dogs that are allowed to run after a meal are at a much higher risk of the stomach or spleen swinging around and twisting, thereby causing bloat.

Can you show me documentation otherwise?

My policy also! Better safe than sorry, I adjust my schedule around my dogs. :)

Harry and Lola 03-07-2014 01:55 AM

Same here Chip

I've never had a dog get bloat but have friends that have and it was really frightening and expensive for them.