German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Buried in bunnies and tumble weeds.. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/418497-buried-bunnies-tumble-weeds.html)

lennyb 03-02-2014 02:11 PM

Buried in bunnies and tumble weeds..

We have 2 GSD's... I currently use a ShedMonster rake and a pin brush about twice a week but if we don't vacuum everyday within a couple of days it starts to look like we have carpeting. We feed a good quality kibble, skin and coats are excellent and no stress issues at all. But after I brush them out later the same day I can literally see hairs coming off (shedding, not falling out). It seems most of the hair we vac up appears to be under coat. Any ideas? Or am I maybe not using the brushes right ( kinda worry about to much pressure hurting them).

Chip18 03-02-2014 02:29 PM

GSD 's shed a lot but I recently jumped on the Coconut oil band wagon because of constant itching with my guy. That seems to be getting much much better and I have noticed a lot less shedding?

lennyb 03-02-2014 02:47 PM

I thought about coconut oil or anti shed shampoos. Neither of my boys have itchy issues or skin problems... I'm sure once spring comes ( if it ever does ) them I can actually take them outside and brush em out a lot better not to mention a long well need scrubbing.

Stevenzachsmom 03-02-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lennyb (Post 5122625)
I thought about coconut oil or anti shed shampoos. Neither of my boys have itchy issues or skin problems... I'm sure once spring comes ( if it ever does ) them I can actually take them outside and brush em out a lot better not to mention a long well need scrubbing.

Nope. Not coming. Didn't you get the memo? Spring has been cancelled. SIGH!

lennyb 03-02-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom (Post 5122737)

Lol... Sure does seem that way doesn't it..

llombardo 03-02-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom (Post 5122737)

I'm with you..

llombardo 03-02-2014 05:08 PM

I brushed one of my cats today and the amount of fur I had was comparable to a dog.

Kahrg4 03-02-2014 08:37 PM

I never really seem to notice how much Cafall sheds. Too busy creating a pekingese outta the fur coming off my husky. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth both my boys are on coconut oil though too.

lennyb 03-02-2014 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=Kahrg4;5123865]I never really seem to notice how much Cafall sheds. Too busy creating a pekingese outta the fur coming off my husky. :rolleyes

I'm always saying I'm going to make my wife a fur coat out of it ( wouldn't take long at all )

llombardo 03-02-2014 09:08 PM

Can cats have coconut oil?