Cutting Nails (moved) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cutting Nails (moved)

I was wondering if anyone could give me hints on clipping my dogs nails. I know how far is too far when it comes to cutting his nails.
Romen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You might want to look into using a dremmel, no more sharp edges to deal with.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Nigel's advice is great. I use a dremmel also. But regardless, I did read that the longer the nail the longer the quick, so it is better to do grind or clip only a little bit every week and then gradually by the weekly trimming the nails will get short and the quick also. When I used to clip the nails, I did use a Quickfinder deluxe and it does work - it will show where the safe area is to cut.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I also used to use a dremmel on our guy, and plan on introducing a dremmel when we decide to get a new puppy. It made things a lot easier on everyone. Our guy used to flip his head when we tried to use clippers of any sort, and with the dremmel he'd often fall asleep as we did it.
Tattersail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

I suggest scissor type nail clippers and not the guillotine type. Often its hard to judge with them if you're new to clipping. I agree with the dremmel but some dogs are afraid of it. In those instances you can clip the nails first (especially if they are very long as the dremmel heats up quick) and then use the dremmel to round and smooth and get that last amount off. A little less stress for dogs that are uneasy about it!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

My dog absolutley hate clippers. It is probably my fault for going to short a couple of times. She doesn't really mind the dremmel at all, and it has the added bonus of being able to round off the nails.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romen View Post
I was wondering if anyone could give me hints on clipping my dogs nails. I know how far is too far when it comes to cutting his nails.

I have heard this many times over the years and cannot say it is true but seems to work for me....Supposedly, the more often you trim their nails the quick recedes over time allowing you to trim the nail to the desired length. Problems occur when the nail is allowed to grow very long because the quick also grows very long in proportion. So, more frequent nail trimmings removing a smaller amount is better than infrequent trimmings removing larger portions as the latter will result in more clips through the quick.

I use a dremel style tool as well at times but only to take the rough edges off left behind from a traditional clipper.

I'll never forget my hack job I did on my first dog...cutting through the quick, not just on one nail but nooooooo..I had to continue and cut through another...looked wicked all the blood on the floor. Besides using styptic powder to stop bleeding one can also take a bar of soap and press and drag the affected nail into the soap bar and it stems the bleeding fairly well.

I am curious....are you having difficulties getting your dog to stay still during a nail trim or is that not the nature of your request for info?

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Black nails are really hard to tell where to cut. Just take off a little at a time. These were helpful for me:
Cutting Nails (moved)-1393602466817.jpg

Cutting Nails (moved)-1393602491467.jpg

Try envisioning the picture with a black nail:
Cutting Nails (moved)-1393602527203.jpg

I honestly think the easiest way is to get the angle right. A 45 angle works well to help the quik move back gradually. It took me a month to get my lab x at a good length. She has black nails and I had to just gradually cut a tiny bit off at a time. When we first rescued her, she was scared to death of the clippers. I had the vet try but no success either without a sedative. So I got her used to them by grabbing her paws and just holding her feet with the clippers in my other hand - without actually using them. After about a week, I was actually able to cut a tiny snippet off and gave her lots of praise and treats. She's more used to them now but its still a pain to do her feet. My GSD is fine with them.
Good luck!

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you really are nervous it's best to find either a professional like a groomer, vet, or vet tech show you how They can show you tricks and tips with your dog

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Definitely a dremel: Anybody use a Dremel?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.