German Shepherds Forum banner

shedding

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
Hello I hope i am in the right section this is my first or second time looking at this site i did some searches ect cant find what i want all forums are a little different in way they work i will adjust to this one. Now to my question i have never had a shepherd german or australian i know this is a german site but i want the most from my dog i can get smart loyal ect which one is best in this area training and other i mentioned ? i have always had labs thinking about the shepherds ! My labs shed like crazy how do the shepherds do on shedding ?

#6 ·
A little better than a lab, but not much! Lots of tumbleweeds. They blow coat twice a year as well, but it is constant shedding.

#7 ·
Yeah when I read that they blow coat twice a year, I thought "oh not that bad" but apparently never read, like DJEtzel said, that it's a year around shedding.. all.. the.. time.. you get used to it.

I had labs growing up and I can say it's worse than that, but that's JMO :)

#8 ·
I have a GSD and a Lab. Comparing the 2...... GSD is about 4 times (very conservative estimate) more then the Lab ... daily. Then there is the twice a year coat blowing as well for the GSD. Best thing I found was microfiber cloths and a good vacuum. I also vacuum Woolf usually twice a week, along with the almost daily brushing.

#15 ·
we haven't had much shedding for the past month or two here, but right before that my girl went into heat and blew her coat. She's long coat though so I have heard that they shed less, dont know how true, or some say the undercoat just gets stuck in the overcoat a little more. I am bad and havent brushed her all month and we have very minimal tumbleweed going on, but it gets really bad during coat blow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.