German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   4th shot or no? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/410162-4th-shot-no.html)

Liesje 02-12-2014 11:12 AM

4th shot or no?

Still trying to figure out puppy vaccination protocol. Legend was vaccinated by the breeder at 8 weeks (on the day) - Dec. 17, then Jan. 8, then Feb. 3. Does he need another distemper/parvo? The vet seems to think so but I think 4 might be excessive? But I'm not sure about the timing. His birthday is October 22. I will probably be bringing him in for something else in the next day or so and I know they will ask about vaccines.

wolfy dog 02-12-2014 11:44 AM

Mine have never gotten four. Actually the last two pups I raised have had two and just Parvo and Distemper.

shepherdmom 02-12-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5009962)
Still trying to figure out puppy vaccination protocol. Legend was vaccinated by the breeder at 8 weeks (on the day) - Dec. 17, then Jan. 8, then Feb. 3. Does he need another distemper/parvo? The vet seems to think so but I think 4 might be excessive? But I'm not sure about the timing. His birthday is October 22. I will probably be bringing him in for something else in the next day or so and I know they will ask about vaccines.

My boy got one at 8 weeks and 12 weeks. My vet says two more. One at 16 weeks and one at 20 weeks.

I thought that sounded like a lot also, but I really trust my vet so I'm going to follow her judgement.

GSDAlphaMom 02-12-2014 11:51 AM

No, he was 15 wks on his last shot so he is good to go. I'm giving my 3rd and final next week to Noah at 15 wks and per my vet (a breeder vet and friend). THat is all he needs. I will wait 2 wks then he will get his rabies.

GSDAlphaMom 02-12-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5010218)
My boy got one at 8 weeks and 12 weeks. My vet says two more. One at 16 weeks and one at 20 weeks.

I thought that sounded like a lot also, but I really trust my vet so I'm going to follow her judgement.

That's excessive (old protocol). I would make the 16 wk shot the last one, then do rabies at 18 wks (or when your state law mandates but not at the same time as the puppy shot).

shepherdmom 02-12-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom (Post 5010250)
That's excessive (old protocol). I would make the 16 wk shot the last one, then do rabies at 18 wks (or when your state law mandates but not at the same time as the puppy shot).

Because puppy is still protected by mother... She wouldn't have done early ones... Said that I should have done at 12, 16 weeks and 20 weeks. But because I got him at a rescue he already had the first two.

State mandates Rabies at 16 weeks.

Liesje 02-12-2014 12:00 PM

Thanks AlphaMom, part of the reason I asked was he's going in for something else and is technically old enough for rabies, but I wouldn't want to do that AND another combo shot. If he's good with the distemper/parvo, I'll have them do the rabies if he is healthy.

GSDAlphaMom 02-12-2014 12:01 PM

Dr Dodds protocol that most are moving to:

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Dr. Dodds' 2012 Canine Vaccination Protocol

DJEtzel 02-12-2014 12:13 PM

I don't. My vet has tried getting me to give Recon and now Patton a fourth. As long as the last comes on/after 15wks, I see no point. I wait a little longer between vaccines to make the last line up. Mom's immunity has certainly worn off and it should take. I've never had an issue. I see Legend got his at 14 wks and 6 days - I would not worry, personally. Lots of vets like to push this and I don't know why.

willoglen 02-12-2014 12:18 PM

I don't, either. I "retired" from breeding Shelties after over 25 years, and I used Dr. Dodds recommendations. The following is an excellent article on vaccinations and immunology:

New Page 1