Hip and joint supplement suggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hip and joint supplement suggestions

I want to give my 3 1/2 year old GSD hip and joint supplements to keep her hips from getting bad. They are already sensitive and when I pick her up from under her belly where her hips are she will yelp. But she doesn't have any problems running or walking or anything else.
I know that Dasuquin is what is best for her but it is very expensive and I am on a tight budget right now, has anyone found any other brands of hip and joint supplements that work for their dog?!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
cwams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Supplements

Years ago, prior to Dasuquin, my vet recommended Cosamin DS. I still give three caplets per day, break each open over the food. I can typically get 230 caplets for ~$60, or ~0.80 per day. Same company. I have always thought that was pretty reasonable.
BWCA Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you ever had her x rayed to see what is going on in there?

My female mix has joint problems and she is has been on Glycoflex 3 for most of her life. She also takes Cosequin. We like to use two joint supplements with varying ingredients, just to try to cover as many bases as possible. She has also been on Jointagen but we switched to Cosequin for price reasons and have not seen a difference.

For day to day pain, I like an herbal supplement called Canine Pain Plus. It is an anti-inflammatory, so it helps reduce the swelling in the joints.

We find the best prices at an online site called Pet Supplies Plus. Save up and buy in bulk.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

If she is yelping, I would have her xrayed

I use either human glucosamine & chondroitin capsules (just open the capsule and spinkle over food & add some water) or Glyde for dogs GLYDE® FOR DOGS. Glyde is expensive, so will only use this on Lola (she has hip dysplasia) when she is showing signs of difficulty.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Diagnose the problem before you start throwing unnecessary supplements at her. Her hips might not even be the problem.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't think it is a bad thing to give your large breed canine joint supplements as it may contribute to lessening joint and cartilage degeneration often seen in old age. I give Harry the same as Lola, even though he has good hips and elbows.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
I don't think it is a bad thing to give your large breed canine joint supplements as it may contribute to lessening joint and cartilage degeneration often seen in old age. I give Harry the same as Lola, even though he has good hips and elbows.
Has there ever been any research done that shows giving joint supplements prevents issues down the road? I was under the impression that there's wasn't.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

My Vet advises me it is much like with humans, when we take a good quality joint medication, this can assist to help slow deterioration of cartilage, relieve joint pain, and improve joint mobility. Research has shown this can be highly beneficial for people with joint issues, but I believe it does depend on the quality of the medication. Apparently they finding similar results with canines.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
My Vet advises me it is much like with humans, when we take a good quality joint medication, this can assist to help slow deterioration of cartilage, relieve joint pain, and improve joint mobility. Research has shown this can be highly beneficial for people with joint issues, but I believe it does depend on the quality of the medication. Apparently they finding similar results with canines.
I know it helps when the hip or joint issues are there. I'm curious if there's anything out there that shows it actually prevents these things.

This is why I'm hesitant to use it as a preventative. If there's nothing out there showing it's worth it, seems like a waste money unless the dog already has joint issues.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

As far as I am aware there is no such product available to purchase for preventing dysplasia (wouldn't it be wonderful if there was). As we all know it is an inherited, polygenic disorder and both genes and the environment play a part in developing HD, my understanding is that the dog has to have the gene in order to develop dysplasia and that environmental factors will play a part in the disease developing, whether there are products available to stop the development - I doubt it.

There are most definitely products that can reduce further wear and tear and in particular help with the pain associated with joints rubbing etc. I tend to switch between glucosamine/chondroitin and green lipped muscle. The Glyde product has all 3 so is very good but expensive.

Imo hip and elbow dysplasia is so rampant in GSDs, that there will always be a dog in your dogs line that presented itself with the disease, how you feed, exercise your dog will also play a part here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.