German Shepherds Forum banner

Cut on paw pad advice :(??

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  volcano 
#1 ·
We were out playing fetch in the field off leash yesterday (so Anna was running) and when I got back home I noticed a few drops of blood on the floor, I checked her and there is a cut on the paw pad (toe??) that is on the back of the leg, the one further up with no nail. I cleaned it right away in the bath tub and put neosporin on it and crated her. I cleaned it again after I got home from work last night and added more neo, also put some on this morning. She isn't licking at it, and noes not seem to bothered ....that being said its a pretty big cut.

It's not bleeding.

My question is, is it safe to use liquid bandage on it? If I notice any swelling or redness she will geo straight to the vet. I wonder if I should just take her any way to be safe. Has this happened to any one else?

My poor baby :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
I no longer go to the vet for cut pads if they stop bleeding on their own (and they already have). I think you have done perfect, cleaned it out and keeping an eye on it for infection.

I may wrap it up just so it's a bit protected from stuff poking into it and hurting them or opening it a bit. More like a barrier then anything else.

Good luck!

#5 ·
When Pyrate stepped on glass and cut his paw pad I cleaned it and also soaked it in Epsom Salts to help it heal faster. Of course he wouldn't sit with his foot in the water so I sat with him laying down and used a sponge, putting the sponge in the water and then letting it rest on the paw pad until it cooled, then redipping. I think it helped it heal faster that way, not to mention he always enjoyed the attention.

#7 ·
Should I cover it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I did at first using an old sock, but only for a couple days as Pyrate hated the sock. When we went outside I put on a dog boot on that foot for week or so until it healed well enough to not be tender.

#8 ·
I've never used the Liquid bandage so can't comment.

I just did more like pyratemom, keep it covered using a dressing then wrapping it all over with the cling VetWrap stuff and then that white waterproof tape that sticks WICKED good (so make sure to only put it over the vetwrap and not on the fur or you'll have to cut if off.

#12 · (Edited)
It doesn't look very serious to me but I am not a vet (disclaimer!!). One of my dogs from the past tore of the entire pad from that same one. It was raw but not bleeding and I knew the vet didn't have anything to suture it to. I decided to leave it and to my amazement the entire pad grew back, never got infected. I may have wrapped it loosely to protect it, don't remember, but that's what I would do now.

#13 ·
Ive done the same on bicycles and motorcycles. Just get the gravel out the wound and keep it clean. Dont let the dog walk on it for a couple days, or limit walking. Every visit I had to the er was a waste for me unless it needs stitches. You can bet the insurance ws getting billed thousands to put some bandaids on me though. Work wouldnt allow me a few days off for recovery unless I made their ins plan overpay thousands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.