German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Bathing Schedule (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/404194-bathing-schedule.html)

TaylorGSDT 01-30-2014 11:55 AM

Bathing Schedule

Not exactly sure where to put this. I've been trying to find out how often I should bathe my dogs, put there's a lot of conflicting opinions on google so I figured I'd come here.

I only bathe my dogs 4 times a year. Once in May, June, July, and August. The main reason for this is during the fall, winter, and spring months, my backyard consists of mostly mud. And I've reasoned that if I were to give me dogs a bath every time they got dirty, I'd be giving them baths every day. And whenever I bathe my male, he just goes out and rolls in/slides in the mud anyways so it's pointless. My concern is: could this be harmful to their coats for only bathing 4 times a year? I haven't seen any excessive shedding during the year I've had my male. I've actually not seen any shedding at all, from either of them. After the mud dries, I take a regular hair brush and brush out the dried mud, then just towel them down with a damp towel. Is this alright to do? Their coats are always shiny (when they aren't dusty looking before the towel down) so I never thought about it until my mother brought it up that I should bathe them more. Any info would be great. Thank you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MaggieRoseLee 01-30-2014 11:57 AM

I don't even have a schedule for my washing, I do it only when they seem to need it and that's not often.

OVER bathing is more of an issue in our breed and I think 4 times a year is just fine :)

:)

Sp00ks 01-30-2014 12:00 PM

With our current pup, we have bathed him a little more than I would like. Mostly trying to keep his unmentionables clean and he likes rolling in the dirt, snow, water, and anything else he can get into.

Our last adult we bathed when she was extremely dirty or starting to stink. That consisted of a couple-3 times a year or so.

There is a thread on this somewhere....

AKIRA3 01-30-2014 12:44 PM

We have had Akira for 8 months now.
So far she has had 2 baths.
Once when we brought her home from the rescue, and 2 weeks ago when she finally got out of her cast.

I let my nose be the judge of when she needs to be washed.
I think 4 times a year sounds good.

Freestep 01-30-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorGSDT (Post 4933490)
My concern is: could this be harmful to their coats for only bathing 4 times a year?

No. As long as they look and smell reasonably clean, coats are shiny and you're not seeing excessive itching or skin flakes, it shouldn't be a concern. Keep their coats brushed out and you shouldn't have any problems.

I have to tell you though, once the shedding starts you are probably going to want to bathe them more often. Most of my GSD clients like their dogs groomed once a month or so, just to keep the shedding under control.

TaylorGSDT 01-30-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestep (Post 4933882)
I have to tell you though, once the shedding starts you are probably going to want to bathe them more often. Most of my GSD clients like their dogs groomed once a month or so, just to keep the shedding under control.

When will the shedding start though? I have had my male for a year now (he is 1 year and 8 months) and he has not shredded at all. And I brush him 3-4 times a week.

Discoetheque 01-30-2014 02:17 PM

I only wash Discoe when she gets dirty or smelly, or right after she is done blowing coat. That averages out, for us, probably about once every other month or two.

As for the shedding, it depends on the individual dog, I would think. Discoe is stock-coated, but does not keep excesses of undercoat, so I honestly don't see much shedding from her outside of her twice-yearly blow. My previous GSD, Reba, had a much tighter, shorter coat, but would shed buckets year round, along with her blow.

Sunflowers 01-30-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorGSDT (Post 4933914)
When will the shedding start though? I have had my male for a year now (he is 1 year and 8 months) and he has not shredded at all. And I brush him 3-4 times a week.

What are you feeding?

TaylorGSDT 01-30-2014 02:49 PM

Just a basic complete nutrition kibble, and bowled chicken once a week. He's got a very healthy weight. Could it have something to do with the fact that he is mixed. His mother was GSD/ Border Collie and his dad was a purebred GSD. So he's like 1/4 border collie.

dogfaeries 01-30-2014 03:22 PM

I only bathe before a dog show, and when someone is blowing coat.