German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Furminator, is it really worth it? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/399801-furminator-really-worth.html)

OUbrat79 01-21-2014 11:45 PM

Furminator, is it really worth it?

I have always used a shedding comb like you would use on a horse for grooming Ammo. Out of everything I have tried it has seemed to work the best. It gets a ton of hair out and leaves his coat looking great. It doesn't get all the lose hair though. I have yet to find anything that can get all the hair. Well today during training class, at petsmart, the trainer guy pushed for me to get a furminator. He swore it would get all the lose hair and talked about how great it was for his lab, or retriever, or what ever the breed of dog was (it wasn't a dog with a double coat). I have a hard time believing that it is the end all be all of dog brushes, especially with a price tag of over $50. So I thought I would come here and ask if it is really worth the money? Is it really good enough to justify that much money on a brush? I mean if it really is the greatest thing ever I will get it but if the comb that I use is just as good then why spend so much? Please let me know what you think. I personally think the petsmart guy was just trying to make a sale.

shepherdmom 01-21-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUbrat79 (Post 4880449)
I have always used a shedding comb like you would use on a horse for grooming Ammo. Out of everything I have tried it has seemed to work the best. It gets a ton of hair out and leaves his coat looking great. It doesn't get all the lose hair though. I have yet to find anything that can get all the hair. Well today during training class, at petsmart, the trainer guy pushed for me to get a furminator. He swore it would get all the lose hair and talked about how great it was for his lab, or retriever, or what ever the breed of dog was (it wasn't a dog with a double coat). I have a hard time believing that it is the end all be all of dog brushes, especially with a price tag of over $50. So I thought I would come here and ask if it is really worth the money? Is it really good enough to justify that much money on a brush? I mean if it really is the greatest thing ever I will get it but if the comb that I use is just as good then why spend so much? Please let me know what you think. I personally think the petsmart guy was just trying to make a sale.

I've tried the furminator. These are what I think work best and they cost a lot less. I use this followed by a slicker brush.

Bman0221 01-21-2014 11:51 PM

I have one, use it and love it. It works great to remove loose hair. It's not a brush so don't use it like one. I run it over him with little pressure and let it do the work. I can pull a trash bag full of hair off with mine.

I don't use it all the time though. Once or twice a month.

Shop around if you want one. Ebay, Amazon etc. You can get them cheaper than what they want for them at the petstore.

I have also found that people either love them or hate them.

boomer11 01-21-2014 11:54 PM

lol NOTHING will ever be able to get all those loose hairs out. the furminator does a really great job with the under coat. i thought it was worth every penny. but even after a thorough brush, i can still grab his neck and pull out a chunk of hair. i dont have hair all over my house though so i guess it must be doing a good job.

go on amazon and read all the real world reviews.

brembo 01-21-2014 11:55 PM

In and of itself, the Furminator is a very nice piece of equipment. Sturdy and well pieced together. Bit overpriced. It gets amazing amounts of fur off a dog too, with some caveats.

Overused it can murder the guard hairs. It's a hybrid, a cutter and a rake at the same time. If you understand a GSDs fur "system" a Furminator an be a very helpful tool, use it wrong and you can wreck a good coat. It's also sort of dangerous in that it's rather sharp and the wee little teeth can slash open skin.

A good groomer can point you in the direction of two or three tools used in combination that will do the same work in a safer and cheaper manner.

trcy 01-21-2014 11:55 PM

I have one, but rarely use it. I don't plan to use it on the GSD at all. I used it on my Shepherd poodle mixes and it takes so much fur off, but their fur is like cotton, it floats in the air and gets everywhere. I don't care for the mess. My MIL bought an attachment for it that goes on the vacuum. I have not used it yet. I really don't think the dogs would enjoy sitting next to the running vacuum while they are...vacuumed...lol

Gretchen 01-22-2014 12:21 AM

It works very well, especially for my long coated cats. you can shop online and get a much better price, I found a good deal at Drs Foster and Smith.

llombardo 01-22-2014 01:30 AM

I use the furminator comb, the shampoo , the conditioner, the detangler stuff, and the vacuum attachment. 3 out of 5 of my dogs love to get vacuumed... The boys. They want in line for their turn. It works well for all of mine. One of the cats waits his turn to.

Freestep 01-22-2014 12:19 PM

My patented Furminator spiel™:

The thing to remember with the Furminator is to use a light touch, like you are just petting the dog with it. You don't need to use a lot of pressure; keep your wrist relaxed and just let the tool do the work. Don't go over one spot for too long, and be extra careful over any bony areas. 5-10 minutes of Furminating once or twice a week is plenty. If you over-furminate, you may end up with bald spots or skin irritation. You definitely can remove more hair than you mean to if you aren't careful!

You will hear people say that the Furminator "ruins" the coat. This is not true if you use it properly. I'm a professional groomer, and I use the Furminator all the time with NO coat damage whatsoever. It is not designed to cut hair, only to grab the loose hairs while allowing the live hair to slide through undamaged.

LaRen616 01-22-2014 12:34 PM

I got my Furminator for $12 off Ebay. I LOVE it. :)