German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Vet problem? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/398345-vet-problem.html)

Dudes mom 01-19-2014 10:09 AM

Vet problem?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this thread but here goes :).

The vet practice that I have used for years was bought by a different vet while I was between dogs. Since getting Dude and Ivan last year I have gotten to know the new vet, the vet techs and office staff.

The techs and staff I love, and the boys love them. They are comfortable and affectionate with the dogs, and in turn the dogs get excited when we pull into the parking lot!

We are fortunate to not have any health problems so the only visits we have been doing lately are weigh-ins, just to keep the boys familiar with the office. Normally we don't see the vet when we go, one of the techs will take us back and get the weight.

Yesterday I took Ivan, my 9 month old, he weighed in at 67lbs. He is a super confident pup, the world is his oyster and everybody loves him, in his eyes anyway. He is large and in charge and loves to have people tell him how wonderful he is. Admittedly he is not the best behaved on leash, a work still in progress. On walks he's fine, it's just the initial excitement of going in the office, or the store, or where ever. He settles quickly though.

Anyway, when we were at the vet's yesterday, the vet was in. When the tech took us back to the scale we rounded the corner and met face to face with the vet. She looked utterly terrified. Ivan was happy to see another person to greet, and tried to pull to her to say hello. She backed up til she was pressed against the wall. There was no way she couldn't have heard us coming, the tech and I were talking.

I'm concerned that the vet may be afraid of my dogs, and how can she have a good relationship with them if she is afraid? Ivan was in no way threatening, he's a big goofball. If it had been Dude with me though, I don't know how he would have reacted. He does react to people who aren't comfortable with him. He's friendly and likes to greet people who are relaxed but is alert otherwise.

Would you talk to the vet about this, or just find another one that is relaxed with your dogs? The clinic is so convenient for me and I love the staff, it's just the vet I worry about.

Thanks

David Winners 01-19-2014 10:18 AM

I would talk to the vet about it and offer to have her meet your dogs in a controlled situation to help assuage her feelings. I see it as an opportunity to help her out. Vets aren't trainers, so they may be uncomfortable in some situations, especially if they are new. That doesn't mean she is a substandard clinician.

Help her out!

Dudes mom 01-19-2014 10:31 AM

I'm not against talking to the vet to see if we can work this out. I may not have given enough information in my post before. Yesterday wasn't the first time she has seen Ivan, it was just the first time she has seen him in 3 or 4 months. She has done everything from his first vet check when I got him to his pulled muscle from a failed superman attempt.

I guess I'm just afraid that if she is afraid of large dogs, if I ever had to bring one of the boys in for an emergency that the situation could be harmful to their socialization. I try to take them around people who think they are as great as I do, lol. I could be just overthinking this though. Was just really surprised at her reaction.

Loneforce 01-19-2014 10:42 AM

I would search around for a new vet. If your vet is afraid of your dog "any type" of dog, and the dog senses this; it will never be right. Dogs also feed off of their masters vibes at the vet too. If you are not happy, the dog probably won't be either. The Vet should be an easy experience for you and the dog, not a fiasco.

Gretchen 01-19-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneforce (Post 4861697)
I would search around for a new vet. If your vet is afraid of your dog "any type" of dog, and the dog senses this; it will never be right. Dogs also feed off of their masters vibes at the vet too. If you are not happy, the dog probably won't be either. The Vet should be an easy experience for you and the dog, not a fiasco.

I agree with this!

David Winners 01-19-2014 11:07 AM

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, but that's MHO.

Maybe the vet was dealing with an aggressive GSD that looked similar to yours 10 minutes before you got there.

Maybe she was calculating dosing on a med for a dog in another exam room and was surprised.

If she has treated your dog before without problems, I would at least give her the courtesy of a conversation discussing the matter before taking your business elsewhere.

Dainerra 01-19-2014 11:45 AM

I would talk to the vet before I made a decision.
I've left a vet for exactly that reason, however. She was TERRIFIED of "those dogs" and said that they could never be trusted. I walked out because she wouldn't even enter the room unless my dog was muzzled first.

Loneforce 01-19-2014 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Dainerra;4862185]I would talk to the vet before I made a decision.
I agree with this also, but if your vet does seem they are afraid of your dog even after you talk to them; I would then start the search. Just think if your dog gives a little warning growl what will happen. "gulp" ( This is just my opinion I by no means claim to be or think I am a professional) I leave that to the others on here.

doggiedad 01-19-2014 01:17 PM

i don't think you can judge her from that 1 encounter. you said she
has treated your dog in the past. maybe you read her wrong. maybe
she was giving you, the tech and your dog room to pass.

llombardo 01-19-2014 01:40 PM

It is hit or miss with vets and GSD's in my experience . The same vet that treated Midnite at the shelter walked into the room(we were there for a 10 day check up) took one look at him and muzzled him. The techs took the muzzle off him when they did his ears and nails. The second vet was neutral. The vet I finally settled on loves shepherds. He got on the ground and played with Midnite like he was his own dog. Midnite responded well to him. I think its important for the dog to feel comfortable.