German Shepherds Forum banner

Grooming is crazy!!! (MOVED to Basic Care from Gen Info)

5K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  readaboutdogs 
#1 ·
Lol sorry about the title. But I know GSD shed a lot!!! But just how bad is it? Even if your groom your dog is it still just fur everywhere? What tools do you use, would anyone recommend the furminator? (How ever you spell it) And how many times a day you groom your dog?

#32 ·
Most people have no clue how much GSDs shed. To look at them you would think they are LOW MAINTENANCE-- wrong assumption to make. We live in Southern California where it has been SUMMER LIKE (80s) this winter... so they shed more than usual.
We have never lived in snow, so I would imagine that GSDs would shed less back east (during cold winters like this one). Am I wrong?

Anyway, we find that regular BRUSH OUTS are a good way to maintain our BONDING with our dogs, plus we give them a relaxing massage (which helps us check for any lumps or anything new or unusual with their bodies).

We take them for grooming (flea bath, nail clipping, ear cleaning, teeth cleaning) every two months... they get the FURMINATOR treatment at the groomers. They always get compliments because they are so well behaved and many people ask us if they are SHOW DOGS (which they are not) because of their beautiful shiny and lustrous fur.

After they get back from the groomers, they prance around like movie stars.

#33 ·
I used one of the rakes Walmart has for 5 or 6 dollars, one of the metal grooming combs to gently work out a tangle ( start at the end of the hair like a child) and they liked me to use one of the human brushes with the bristles with the little knobs on it just cause it felt good! They loved getting brushed out, a good time to bond and give a good look over for ticks, bumps, etc! With the pittbull I just use one of those scrubby bath mitts, his hair is so short!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.