German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Help... Bath problems.. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/396313-help-bath-problems.html)

lennyb 01-15-2014 07:13 AM

Help... Bath problems..

Good morning.. I have a problem. We have a 1 1/2 year gsd named Diego. He is a loving boy who has never bit anyone. The problem is he loves to play outside with our 18 week gsd and loves water BUT when it comes to bath time its a whole nother story. When we go to pick him up to put him in tub the look he gets in his eyes and facial expressions make us stop. I trust him fully but I've been around enough dogs to know that look. Thought about getting a muzzle just for bath time only.. Any ideas out there?

doggiedad 01-15-2014 07:57 AM

one of our trainers told us to feed our pup in bath tub
with the water running but don't let the water hit the pup.
i thought it was a crazy idea but i did it. if i want to give
my dog a bath i place wet towels on the tub floor. i say
"get in" and he steps into the tub.

take your dog to a groomer. he may let the groomer bathe him.
we had a Grey Hound that wouldn't let us near her nails. we
took he to a groomer and the goomer could do het nails with
no muzzle or leash on her.

if your dog likes being sprayed with the hose wet him and then
put some shampoo on him. rub it in and spray it off.

halo2013 01-15-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lennyb (Post 4836305)
Good morning.. I have a problem. We have a 1 1/2 year gsd named Diego. He is a loving boy who has never bit anyone. The problem is he loves to play outside with our 18 week gsd and loves water BUT when it comes to bath time its a whole nother story. When we go to pick him up to put him in tub the look he gets in his eyes and facial expressions make us stop. I trust him fully but I've been around enough dogs to know that look. Thought about getting a muzzle just for bath time only.. Any ideas out there?

Halo was the same way. She'd see me preparing the bathroom and it was all over. I gave her a bath Monday. She stepped right in the tub before I even had anything setup. I think she was in the tub with the kids briefly but I'm not positive. Something associated with the kids helped her like the tub. Idk if it will last. But I know before I'd pick her up and take her to the the tub and she would scream the whole way like I was hurting her. As soon as I saw her step in by herself I instantly rewarded her behaviour. Because she's heavy and its not helpful when she's flailing her body and screaming.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Abby142 01-15-2014 12:18 PM

I have found that with my dog it helps to actually just hose her off outside. Jade loved water and going swimming and splashing in puddles but she would absolutely freak out in the shower and the vet said that it might just be that she doesn't like the tight space. Took her outside and hosed her down (with her leash on the first few times in case she tried to run away) then soaped her up, and hosed her off. No drama and now she doesn't even need the leash, I tell her to stay and the whole process is just so much faster and easier for both of us.

Of course if you live somewhere it gets very cold this obviously won't work. We live in Texas and the 50F is cold for us.

halo2013 01-15-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abby142 (Post 4838177)
I have found that with my dog it helps to actually just hose her off outside. Jade loved water and going swimming and splashing in puddles but she would absolutely freak out in the shower and the vet said that it might just be that she doesn't like the tight space. Took her outside and hosed her down (with her leash on the first few times in case she tried to run away) then soaped her up, and hosed her off. No drama and now she doesn't even need the leash, I tell her to stay and the whole process is just so much faster and easier for both of us.

Of course if you live somewhere it gets very cold this obviously won't work. We live in Texas and the 50F is cold for us.

That would be so Nice. Halo.loves swimming and all that. But hoses she runs from them

Twyla 01-15-2014 07:32 PM

Woolf seriously doesn't like tight spaces. Best thing I found was the kiddie pool in the back yard. If, during the winter, he needed one, we would set it up in the garage - only had to do that one time.

Thankfully, these dogs really don't need baths that often unless they get into something stinky.

lennyb 01-15-2014 09:43 PM

I tried treats but he just looks at me like I'm stupid lol.. I would just hose him off but its 20 outside. The only reason I wanted to bath him is he decided to dig a large hole in the yard, then of course it rained and he had his own little mud tub ( he even got the puppy in ).. I actually took a old ankle sock, cut the toe end off it and put it on him (homemade muzzle) just long enough to get him in the tub then took it right off. Once he's in the tub he'll complain a little but now he's squeaky clean. Although he decided to climb on my lap. Guess he thought if he's wet I should be too..

middleofnowhere 01-15-2014 09:49 PM

OK here's how I've done bathtime:

1. towels everywhere
2. human with minimal clothes (aka underwear maybe)
3. treats
4. non-slip matt in tub
5. soap up dogs outside of tub (What dog does not like a playful rub down?)
6. have the tub full of water
7. get in the tub
8. call the dog in and reward
9. let dog jump in and out of tub as it wishes
10. rinse dog off in tub
11. coax dog out of tub
12 towel off dog
13 towel off human
14 open BR door
15 dogs exit with excitement
16 human dresses (maybe after a shower to eliminate dog hair)
17. mop up bathroom
18. play with dogs
19. throughout this process keep it light hearted and FUN!

This technique relys on the handler being able to build enthusiasm with the dog and not getting up tight about it.

mcdanfam 01-15-2014 10:02 PM

Miles loves the bath....so he is not trouble....
Millie....we were told to lift her in the tub and it takes we...at least two of us....give her a favorite treat, straddle her like a horse...it worked....she never moves....but if I get one side or the other she will turn the bathroom into a shallow pool. She acts like the perfect princess...I don't have to hold her down, or pin her...just stand over her...:-)

We did learn that if we leave her in the bathroom to go get a thicker floor mat...we can't leave water in the tub. While she does NOT like getting a BATH she does LOVE jumping back in playing in the tub water like she does at the lake or beach. When she hears us opening the door...She likes to jump out really fast and act like she is scared to death of the bath tub....needless to say...she has been busted hard and will have to behave for baths now....and we no longer feel sorry for her.

blackshep 01-16-2014 09:38 AM

There is no way my dog would follow me into the tub, she hates water! I tried swimming with her, she's very attached to me and I thought if I waded in and called her, she'd jump in. Nope! She cried and cried but would not go in.

I found using warm water made it better, before all I had was the outside hose and the water was cool. I have a non-slip mat in the tub and use the handshower. She doesn't fight nearly as much as she used to, but usually whines while I do it. I just try to be quick! lol She has gotten better, but she will never love it. She doesn't have to, she just has to tolerate it.

If you do think he might bite, then be safe and get him used to a muzzle so you can use it at bath time.